problem with ddr memory

• jaboe
  • Born
  • Born
  • jaboe

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok maybe there is another post staing the soloution to this but i couldnt find as there is god know's how many so here goes.

well my problem is clearly this i have hed my computer for over a year now and i have only just reciently noticed that my computer only recognises 256 mb DDR.

i currently have 2 sticks of 512 mb DDR in my computer they was both bought at the same time from the same company in a duel package 2x512 sticks.

on my computer boot up screen it says i only have 256 mb DDR memory i dont know why it does this could n e 1 help?

O by the way both slots on my mother board are functioning correctly as i have switched and made sure that both sticks and slots on the motherboard are functioning.

another thing that could of happened is that i hed been given 2x256 but that would give me 512 but it still only says 256 mb im all out of idea's

So if n e 1 knows the soloution to this please tell.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

2x128 perhaps?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

lucassix wrote:
2x128 perhaps?

That would be unfortunate.

If you are comfortable with removing your RAM, pull the stick out and write down the model number. You should be able to google the number and it will tell you should find some results that will tell you exactly what size ram it truly is.
  • limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo
  • Loc: Pitcairn Island

Post 3+ Months Ago

how about the motherboard only recognising 256mb in total...if thats possible?
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

How much does windows recognize.

Got to:

"My Computer" - right click on "My Computer" then choose the last option which is "properties"

When you left click properties you will see a screen that shows your cpu, windows version and the amount of memory in the computer.

Does windows only show 256 also?

When you say the boot up screen are you referring to the initial memory scan before boot up, or could you be referring to the amount of memory that you video card has? When my computer boots up I see a screen that shows the BIOS version of my vid card and the amount of memory. Could your vid card have 256 Mb of memory?

Just a thought.

Dangles
  • fleamailman
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: geneva

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like faulty ram,

- please remove one stick, looking at the result of the process sysdm.cpl (Doung has just mentioned), then replace the first stick with the second, post results here.

- please use a good working ram on each slot to see if the result is the same for each

- please in future keep a log of your specs, I use 'system specs' as I don't like installing stuff but if you prefer to install a good one I suggest 'belarc advisor'

system specs
http://www.alexnolan.net/software/sysspec.htm

belarc advisor
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts