Problem with DVD drive

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been trying not to think about how crap my computer has been since it was purchased in October but i'm finding it hard.

For the last few months i've noticed that the DVD drive has gradually stopped reading some of the disks i place into the computer. It won't autorun CD's that are put in and wont display the CD as being there sometimes in Windows Explorer and software like iTunes. Infact, if i want to upload anything into iTunes i need to rip it to Windows Media Player first.

Like i say, the computer is pretty new and the problems have been happening almost since new. Before getting into the whole warranty hassle i wondered if maybe someone here knew of what the problem could be and could point me in the right direction.

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5720 running Windows Vista (home, i think).

Thanks.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it's under warranty, exchange it for something else right away, especially if you are having a hard time telling yourself that it's not crap.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You may have a point. It's the hassle factor though.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Who cares about the hassle.

It is not working and is under warranty.

Remove all files you don't want the geek squad or whatever to see.

Then get the replacement.

Sounds as if you are already kinda without a computer / inconvenienced, what is a week without it as you are getting a new one even? If you got a warranty from Staples .... you can just exchange it, no questions asked and leave with the new unit.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

True. I'm looking into it at the moment.

I guess it doesn't help with the fact i bought the computer in Australia and i currently live in Scotland. It should be an International warranty though, most are.

Thanks
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

That could complicate things ... heh.

Did you order it online or at a store in Australia? Online should not be an issue.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was bought in a store in Oz. You can maybe understand why the hassle factor is an issue here :lol:

I'll see how it goes, it's not that bad. I just read another thread in this forum where alot of ACER users are complaining about the same problem a year or two after they've bought the machine so i'm naturally concerned. The DVD drive is probably nothing, however it's a pain in the butt when it comes to installing new software as they CD won't load.

So, if anybody knows any way in which i can fix this i would appreciate the input.

Thanks
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have that problem with my DVD drive ... it does not like CDs any more. It's a plextor and a few years old. I live with at as a new computer is being saved for, and could be aforded now if I absolutely had too ... I just don't want Vista :)

I would say maybe buy a new acer DVD drive as the Scotland / Australia issue is a greater hassle than just going into Staples or a Computer Store.:)
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why buy an Acer drive? I'd rather have Liteon. Before buying anything, update the drivers.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Why buy an Acer drive? I'd rather have Liteon. Before buying anything, update the drivers.

Point well taken.

I just wanted to suggest buying a new drive and probably could have done it better. I thought Acer as it might get replaced under warranty for free ... but another drive would do the trick and prollie have a better track record in the long run. Even if you got a free Acer replacement would be a good backup that works and FREE!
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks.

I'll check out the drivers again and failing that i'll have a look at liteon CD drives.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

NP.

I know my sister had a problem with her laptop and they sent her the part and all the paperwork and the such to mail back the bad power supply or cord. Besides never hurts to have a back up.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts