Problems connecting to the internet with a wireless.

• ImmortalDuck
  • Student
  • Student
  • ImmortalDuck

Post 3+ Months Ago

For a while now, I've been using a standard DSL Modem to connect to the internet. Now I've got two computers, so I had SBC send me a wireless router, and they sent me a networking modem aswell. Seeing as how I need the networking modem set up to be able to get the wireless running, I tried to replace the standard modem with the networking modem for this computer. I install it with the installation disk they sent me and everything, but it won't let me connect to the internet via my ISP. I tried everything I could think of, but I couldn't get this computer to connect to the internet unless it was through the standard modem.

My question: How can I connect to the internet with the network modem on this computer so I can later set up the wireless on the other?

Thanks.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

What exactly is a networking modem?

Quite frankly I am a little confused by your post. You don't need a special modem to setup and use a wireless router.

Does your second PC have wireless capability?
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

the setup should be modem ==> router==> wireless cards (in one or both of the computers)
and as grinch mentioned do either of the computers have a wireless card to connect the the network
also, please provide model numbners so that we can find a detailed setup instruction set for you.
  • ImmortalDuck
  • Student
  • Student
  • ImmortalDuck

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is the networking modem I'm talking about, 2wire.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... en%26lr%3D

This is the modem that I can currently run on.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... D%26sa%3DG

This is the wireless that I connect to my old PC.
http://img.shopping.com/cctool/PrdImg/i ... 710123.JPG

Let me try to rephrase this. The wireless isn't really the problem right now. I'm currently using the SBC Speedstream DSL modem to connect to the internet, and it works fine. But the installation guide says that I need the other modem, the 2wire, installed so that the wireless can run off of that.

However, when I disconnect my speedstream and replace it with the 2wire, and use the cd to install the 2wire, it won't let me connect to the internet via my ISP like it would my speedstream.

Hope that helped.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

in the article, the first link you provided, it says that there is a problem with this router and it conflicts with the isp.
Quote:
We were very impressed with the 2Wire 1000CW install, and it's ease of use. Unfortunately, our ISP was a new kid in town, and for some unknown reason, the 2Wire device would not authenticate or connect to the Internet. We worked with 2Wire support and our ISP, and still nothing. The local setup was simple, and our LAN PC's could get an IP and communicate with the 1000CW, but the DSL modem would not connect with the ISP's DSLAM. We worked with 2Wire support, and they provided a few things to try, and even made a custom build of their software to help diagnose the DSL errors. Nothing worked, and eventually we gave up trying, and waited patiently. A few months went by, and we were recently notified that our ISP changed to a new DSLAM, so we fired up the 2Wire 1000CW and to our surprise, it connected and we were up and running in minutes with the rest of our PC's.

could it be that you are experiencing the same problem?
  • ImmortalDuck
  • Student
  • Student
  • ImmortalDuck

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure, it could be.. If it is, how can I fix it?
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

i dont know, the article goes on to say that several months later, the isp fixed the problem on their end and all was well.
i reccomend calling sbc and asking if this is, in fact the problem
  • ImmortalDuck
  • Student
  • Student
  • ImmortalDuck

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone else got any other ideas?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts