CD-RW Problems

• Christy
  • Born
  • Born
  • Christy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was hoping someone could help me out with a problem I'm having...

I recently had a problem with my computer not recognizing my CD Rom drive, and received a fix from an HP support analyst. The download the analyst gave me was called xp_cd_dvd_fix.vbs and it worked, but now I'm trying to use my cd burner, and my computer does not detect that I have one installed. I can use two different programs to burn cds, both came with my computer. The first is Windows Media Player, and it gives me the message " no CD or DVD player has been detected" and the second, Record Now gives me the message "Your recording device does not support writing to CD Media. This option is not available with your current recorder." I believe the fix the analyst gave me does not support cd burning, but I am not sure... I have Windows XP. I hope someone knows something I can do.

Thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suggest you contact HP again, they ballsed it up, they should fix it for you FREE of charge.
  • Christy
  • Born
  • Born
  • Christy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah... I thought so too, but here's the kicker- When I use HP instant support on my computer (the way I did to get the first fix), I can't get logged into the site. I type up my problem and click connect to a support analyst, and it just sits on that page. Nothing happens. If someone could clue me in on that too, I'd be very appreciative. I turn off my Norton Internet, firewall, and everything and nothing helps.

Last night I un-installed my cd-burner and let my computer re-install it when I restarted it, and it appeared fine, but then Windows Media Player said it was receiving problems from another area of the computer that wasn't communicating properly. I'm guessing that's the cd burner again... I'm ready to throw the friggin computer out the window.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there not a customer support helpline you can call ?

Until you find out what HP are willing to do, I wouldn't advise you fiddle too much otherwise you may void your warrenty or they could say you caused the problem by tampering with it yourself.

Try contacting them via telephone or email on a different computer. Find out what they are willing to do and if its not a great deal we can then start looking at alternatives.
  • Christy
  • Born
  • Born
  • Christy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your help. I finally am emailing a support tech (even if he is a little slow) and the problem is slowly being resolved. My Windows Media Player and RecordNow are both gone from my computer, but hopefully that's something he can fix. Thanks again.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts