Problems with onboard sound card

• maniacmusician
  • maniacmusician

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sound doesn't work at all on my computer. It did a couple of days ago, when I had Windows XP Home Edition (I just bought this computer), but I replaced it with Professional, and since then the sound hasn't been working. The problem is, it can't detect the sound card. It's not in the device manager list, and when I go to control panel>Sounds and Audio Devices, it tells me that there is no audio device. This is kinda perplexing, because this sound card is integrated into the motherboard, and there shouldnt be any trouble detecting it.

It is a "Integrated 7.1 Capable Intel(R) High Def. Audio" card (thats from the specs on HP's website). I can't find any drivers for it on Intel's website, and it seems otherwise nonexistent or undetected on my computer.

In device manager, there are a few problem devices. They are sub-listed under "other devices.":
PCI device
Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Those all have the yellow exclamation marks, so maybe its possible it has something to do with on of those?
I asked a friend of mine, and he said that when I reinstalled XP, it probably accidentally erased some of the drivers for the motherboard. He said that to fix this I would need to download the correct drivers for my chipset...I dont know if this is correct but if it is, how do I tell what chipset I have?
Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since you bought this computer, it should have come with some sort of recovery CD and/or driver CD that would contain the drivers needed for your computer.

Also, knowing what kind of computer (dell,hp,compaq) it is, would help.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is why I don't use onboard.
You could also contact the company :o
  • maniacmusician
  • maniacmusician

Post 3+ Months Ago

it did not come with a CD.
Well....it came with a 3-month AOL trial, but thats beside the point.

theres some confusion regarding the make and model. I am pretty sure I bought an HP Pavilion a1200y. However, the label on the CPU says that this is an a1000y. So I think maybe they just put the wrong casing on...because the a1000y comes with a motherboard that only supports pentium 4 processors, and I have a Celeron D 3.06 GHz. I'm almost 100% sure that I have the a1200y and not the a1000.

Running XP Pro, 512MB ram, 2 80 GB hard drives, onboard audio and graphics, etc etc. HP's site tells me that my chipset is an ATI Radeon Xpress 200 (the intel version) but I can't find any drivers for this chipset on ATIs or HPs website.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You bought an HP and it didn't come with any CD's other than an AOL disk? Odd considering, my compny just bought a bunch of HP desktops for a project that came with all kinds of disks. But anyway

Is this your PC. If so there are the drivers for your audio and video on that page.

How hard did you look on HP's site. All I did was do a search for a1200y and found all I needed, you can even order recovery CD's.

And by the way, a Celeron is basically a cheap P4, they both use the same socket.
  • maniacmusician
  • maniacmusician

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually, I did find that page on HPs site, but it says "You must install Microsoft's Universal Audio Architecture High Definition audio bus driver on the PC before installing these drivers.", and that is what I had trouble finding. When I google it or go to microsoft's site, they give me plenty of info about uaa, but not the download page for the driver.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is what you do, I just did this and I have it, search your system for these files:

Hdaudbus.sys
Hdaudio.sys
Hdaprop.dll
Hdaudres.dll
Hdashcut.exe
Mssap.dll
Portcls.sys

Right click the file and select properties. Click the version tab and make sure it matches the version found here. If they match then you already have this update and you can download the driver. for your sound

This came out in 2004 and I am sure it was included in a hotfix or critical update somewhere down the line.
  • maniacmusician
  • maniacmusician

Post 3+ Months Ago

i know that I definitely don't have it because I downloaded that realtek driver and tried to install it, but it told me that I didn't have UAA installed on my computer, and to get it from microsoft...the only question is, where do it get it? oO
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just did a search on my 2003 Server and I have the files I listed and I don't know of any reason why I would have it.

When was the last time you went to Windows Update? Hvae you installed SP1 or SP2 yet?
  • maniacmusician
  • maniacmusician

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, i'm totally updated and everything. I don't know why I don't have these files. (I have sp2)
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Contact Microsoft is the only thing I can think of at this point.
  • maniacmusician
  • maniacmusician

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you uploaded those files from your computer and I downloaded them, do you think that would work?
  • lukat
  • Born
  • Born
  • lukat

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the same problem since I've Re-installed Windows XP Home Edition.
My Motherboard is an ASUS P5AD2-E Premium with an integrated 7.1 Sound Device.
It doesn't work now.
I don't know if it's due to the Windows Update from Internet or not ...because I've upgdated Windows XP to SP2 before installing all the ASUS MotherBoard Drivers.
Please post any solution to this problem. I will post something as soon as I will have solved the problem.
  • sandman6471
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • sandman6471
  • Loc: In My Dreams

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it's an HP, you should have a cd with all the drivers on it. You can also remove all items with a yellow exlamation next to them in device manager. Then shut down your computer the restart your computer and see if XP Pro detects the hardware right that time.

Good Luck...........
  • Kill-a-Watt
  • Born
  • Born
  • Kill-a-Watt

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. It's not part of SP2
2. It's not available through Microsoft\Windows update

3. It should be part of the drive package (on the CD that everyone is talking about)

There is a link on HP's web (Not sure exactly where it is for Home pc's) that will allow HP to scan your pc and tell you EXACTLY what you have.

While Microsoft list the KB article (888111) fro the UAA patch, i have yet to locate it. It does load with the "universal audio driver". You might want to search HP for SP-30301. See if it applies to your PC.

Good luck
  • kyuso
  • Born
  • Born
  • kyuso

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
You bought an HP and it didn't come with any CD's other than an AOL disk? Odd considering, my compny just bought a bunch of HP desktops for a project that came with all kinds of disks.

HP nowadays don't include CD's anymore. They have a software in the hard disk, with a second partition that contains all the data to burn into a new CD/DVD, so you have to manually burn them before trashing the OS, otherwise you have to pay money to order the CDs.
  • kyuso
  • Born
  • Born
  • kyuso

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kill-a-Watt wrote:
While Microsoft list the KB article (888111) fro the UAA patch, i have yet to locate it. It does load with the "universal audio driver".
Good luck

Search for any new models of HP, or try searching SP30739 for XP SP1, or SP31994 for XP SP2.

My laptop came pre-installed with XP Media SP2, but after I trashed it to replace with XP SP1, I had to look for UAA that worked with SP1 since the driver for my model only had UAA for XP SP2.

BTW, somehow the UAA tries to connect to the self update server, and I don't have a network in XP since it's only for games (I use linux for everything else, so I download drivers from linux and copy them to Windows partition) I'll try installing SP1 before trying it, but is there a way to get the driver installed without having it connect to the internet?
  • natking
  • Born
  • Born
  • natking

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found it:

http://tastycomputers.com/support/download/c_media.htm
  • Lord_Lethris
  • Born
  • Born
  • Lord_Lethris

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea.. I got the same issue with a Compaq PC (hp in drag).... this helped on a few HP/Compaq pc's but not all of them... ->

Download SP30739.exe from HP. http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/22799.htmlThen open the exe with WinRar. Open the \US folder and extract the setup.dat file. Rename the file to setup.dat.rar to view the contents with WinRar or rename to setup.dat.exe to run the KB888111 package.

Or you can try this file --> from Gigabyte <-- that seems to work for the rest of them ;)

The problem is caused by the Microsoft High Definition Audio Driver Package - KB888111 having to be "intergrated" into the "windows Installation CD" in the first place (as its really a hotfix and not an update), which 3rd party manufacturs like HP, Dell, etc are all intitled to do for there own crappy chipsets

Good luck!
  • neoikaruga
  • Born
  • Born
  • neoikaruga

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey i had a little browse, been trying this for ages haha, got a bit worried cause the pc i'm fixing isn't mine!
but after a while of searching i've found that the High Definition Drivers come from and are owned by realtek
http://www.realtek.com.tw/
sitting on the front page on the right hand side :P
simple really
  • sedavis62
  • Born
  • Born
  • sedavis62

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Neokaruga,

THANK YOU for the link! I have been fighting this battle for two days now and your link gave me SOUND!

I registered just to tell you that.

Gratefully,
Sue
  • priyanka
  • Born
  • Born
  • priyanka

Post 3+ Months Ago

If there are yellow exclamation marks in the device manager under
PCI device
Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)
Universal serial bus is the chipset(motherbaord) drivers not installed. and the video controller is the video drivers.. Also, you might not have installed the sound drivers.. also, you can do one step, under sound., video and game controller you can disable the unimodem, the sound might work...
Best Regards
  • caf
  • Born
  • Born
  • caf

Post 3+ Months Ago

I finally found the work around on the hp on board video asking for the uaa hd driver before installing the original drivers from hp.
I found the uaa hd drivers, and downloaded them several times ...everytime i tried to download the original sound drivers from hp drivers i got the same message no uaadd installed., even though i installed it over 5 times. I tried reinstalling in different directories still no lick... I could have bought a new card, but for me the thrill is in the hunt.

the simple work around go into the bios and set on board audio from aut0 to enabled, when i rebooted my system it detected the uaa hd drivers that i had installed and then it installed the realtek drivers, after 3 days of searching i have sound and again i an the master over this damn hp

caf

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 23 posts