Processor and motherboard

• alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Pakistan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was thinking of buying a new processor and motherboard. My question is how do you know that which proccessor can fit into which motherboard ? I have selected AMD3200+ with the motherboard Asus a8n SLI. Is it okey ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

The A8N supports socket 939 amd processors and the AMD 3200+ is a cocket 939 so they should work nively together.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

So basically you'll have to see the socket numbers ? The motherboard's socket should match those of the processors ?

By the way, what does the number 939 indicate ?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

939 pins I believe.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
939 pins I believe.

Yes, the AMD SKT# normaly refers to the number of pins on the relevant CPU, Seperons are SKT754 and have 754 pins, Opterons are SKT940 and have 940 pins ....

The only black sheep of the new gen AMD CPU's is the AM2 ... it has 940 pins but has been given the name SKTAM2 rather than SKT940. This is because there is already a SKT940 [ Opteron ] and this is to stop people getting confused between the two as the new SKT940 AM2 CPU's cannot be used in conjunction with older SKT940 [ Opteron ] motherboards.

Congrats on choosing the A8N-SLi series, I have the A8N-SLi Premium and it is a superb board, same applies to the deluxe model, I just like the passivly cooled north and southbridge chipsets on the Premium version.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeap i have heard about the a8n32 and its a wonderful motherboard, but its expensive thats why im going to buy the a8n.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

The A8N is the series mate, which one in that series are you getting ?

1. A8N-SLi Deluxe
  2. A8N-SLi Premium
  3. A8N32-SLi
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I knew a8n was a series but i thought there were 2 models ? I didnt knew there were three. I was thinking about buying tha a8n premium or deluxe because a8n32 exceeds my budget. I had seen this motherboard in a magzine, Can you give me links to the premium and deluxe motherboards so i can look at them and see which one was the one i had selected ? Thanks
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oho, Got it. Theres not much difference between premium and deluexe.

premium :

PCI Express x1: 1
PCI Express x16: 2
PCI Slots: 3

Deluexe:

PCI Express x1: 2
PCI Express x16: 2 x PCI Express X 16 (*SLI mode : x8 , x8 *Default Single VGA mode : x16, x1)
PCI Slots: 3

Now what do those numbers mean ? :D
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I cant figure out which one's better. It looks like deluexe is better. But when i look at the price at newegg its deluexe which is cheaper ! What does PCI Express x1 and x16 mean ? And what does this mean :PCI Express x16: 2 x PCI Express X 16 (*SLI mode : x8 , x8 *Default Single VGA mode : x16, x1) ?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

The boards might not look as if there is much difference but there are nice subtile difference's. Such as the fact the A8N-SLi has passivly cooled northbridge and southbridge chipsets [ the fan on the A8N-SLi is very load and breaks easily ].

Quote:
PCI Express x16: 2 x PCI Express X 16 (*SLI mode : x8 , x8 *Default Single VGA mode : x16, x1)

That means that when you only have a single graphics card in your computer, the slot it is in will run at maximum speed and bandwidth [ x16 ], its also means that when you have two cards installed, the PCI-E slots will halve their speed and bandwidth [ this is because they run on the same motherboard pipe, so half is given to one card, and half is given to the other ].

This is where the A8N32-SLi differes. It has two seperate lines, one for each PCI-E slot, therefore, when two cards are connected, they both utilise their full potential.

If your looking to build a gaming machine [ and are not too worried about expansion in terms of PCI slots ] then look into stretching your budget if you can and getting the A8N32-SLi, it really will be worth it. If you dont want to stretch your budget, want expansion or are not building a mainly gaming machine, the A8N-SLi Premium is a great board. I personaly have it and love it, comes packed with goodies in the box [ cables, expansion cards etc ].

I`m looking into getting the A8N32-SLi soon though for my SLi, but thats just because I have more money than sense :P
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

alamode wrote:
I cant figure out which one's better. It looks like deluexe is better. But when i look at the price at newegg its deluexe which is cheaper ! What does PCI Express x1 and x16 mean ? And what does this mean :PCI Express x16: 2 x PCI Express X 16 (*SLI mode : x8 , x8 *Default Single VGA mode : x16, x1) ?

Sorry, forgot about the other numbers ment in the post above.

PCI-E x1 is just an usless expansion slot, I really wouldnt worry about it too much, I think the A8N-SLi Premium has a PCI-E x4 aswell :P
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

So i should go for the premium ? I cant go for the a8n32 it was pretty expensive last time i checked. Whats its price now ? Im thinking of getting premium for now and upgrade to a8n32 later on.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally yes, I would go with the A8N-SLi Premium, it is definately worth it.

The A8N32-SLi is currently sitting high at £130 in the UK, not sure what that converts to in US$, probs around $230 ?
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pounds or dollars dosent matter cause im neither from UK or USA :D. Last time i heard it was 180 pounds. Well ill check it out.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

alamode wrote:
Pounds or dollars dosent matter cause im neither from UK or USA :D. Last time i heard it was 180 pounds. Well ill check it out.

£180 ? :shock:

Where are you getting your stuff from , thats just madness ?! :(
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I read it in a magzine. That was around 4-5 months back i think. I think it was just released at that time so the mag reviewed it along with its price.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whats the difference between Retail and OEM ?:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... x=0&Go.y=0

there are 2 a8n premium boards here... one is around 160$ which is retail and the OEM one is around 90$. Which one is the one i should buy ?
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wanted 2 graphics cards too soo can i Buy one 6800 right now and another one later on ?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

alamode wrote:
Whats the difference between Retail and OEM ?:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... x=0&Go.y=0

there are 2 a8n premium boards here... one is around 160$ which is retail and the OEM one is around 90$. Which one is the one i should buy ?

Get the retail version. With the OEM version all you will get is the motherboard, no manuals, drivers, cables screws etc. OEM products are fine if you are getting a HDD or CPU in my opinion, but for things like graphics cards, motherboards etc I go for the retail package as you get lots of bundled goodies.

Quote:
I wanted 2 graphics cards too soo can i Buy one 6800 right now and another one later on ?

Yes, you can do that, just make sure its the same chipset :)
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ill just buy the same thing again. The question is, is it better to have 2 6800 Cards in the a8n Premium or have 1 great card ? Because as you said, when we use 2 cards their speed is halved.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is entirly up to you, with SLi you could get the same great performance with two cards that you can get from one card, but spend a lot less.

My 6800GS setup gives me "similar" performance to a single 7800GTX, yet I spent just half the amount.

The idea behind SLi [ or one of them ] is that you buy a great card now ... wait until they become cheaper and buy a second to boost your machine.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, where do you get those tool kits which contain screw drivers and all the stuff for your computer ? Can someone provide me a link to a good tool kit for computers ?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I usually don't do this but there is a such thing as Google.
Google Search for Computer Tool Kit
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heh, thanks mate :)
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, Amd athlon 3500+ 64bit is equal to how much GHZ ? In other words what is the equlivance intel processor ?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

the 3500+ is 2.2GHz but the 3500 monicker is supposed to mean it is comparable to a 3.5GHz P4.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Amd confuses me. Does that mean it'll run at aroiund 2.2 Ghz or 3.5Ghz ?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Amd confuses me. Does that mean it'll run at aroiund 2.2 Ghz or 3.5Ghz ?

The AMD64 3500+ will show on your system properties as running at 2.2Ghz. What the 3500+ at the end of the processors name is saying, is that even though it only runs at 2.2Ghz, it can process the same amount of data at a similar rate that a 3.5Ghz Pentium 4 would.

Basicaly, AMD processors compute more data per clock cycle than Intel, this does not mean that AMD are better than Intel though. All it means is that to get the same performance from an Intel as you would an AMD, you are required to get a slightly faster clocked core.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enigmatic wrote:
Basicaly, AMD processors compute more data per clock cycle than Intel, this does not mean that AMD are better than Intel though.

i could not help myself(AMD-Intel war here it comes lol)
i am a die hard AMD fan..
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 31 posts