X2 processor compatability

• risingsun
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do the new AMD X2's have any compatability issues. Or will any 939 mobo work. Do you have to have an X2 compatible mobo or what?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

risingsun wrote:
Do the new AMD X2's have any compatability issues. Or will any 939 mobo work. Do you have to have an X2 compatible mobo or what?

Any Socket 939 motherboard should work. You may need a BIOS update.
  • risingsun
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

all right thanks
You know from what i heard they wont be very good right now bc most programs are written in single sting so only one core will process all the data, is this true. I know that some prog are made for multi, but for things like games a stuff, is this true of just a rumor
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats what my dad told me when 64 bit came out, he would not let me buy one. but where did you hear this? because they are the same but they have 2 cores instead of one. so you can do more things at once. did the 64's have compatibility issues? no. i wont think these would either.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your OS should automatically address the presence of a second core as a second processor. It will then put that processor to work doing some background tasks. However if the program is only written for a single core, and OS withstanding it would probably "favor" one of the cores over the other until one becomes maxed out. Think of how dual LAN ports on a computer works. Load-Balancing - thats all.
  • risingsun
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahhh, understood.
  • lhuser
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

The newest structure I've seen are the Athon 64 FX-57, the AMD 64 X2 4200+-5000+ (some jerk even say 5500+)

The AMD64 X2 4200+ can go easily to $800 :!:
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would do a really crazy processor if I wasn't doing the $900 cooling, $200 PSU, and $290 case.

And now they have the Asus A8N-SLI Premium. Fixes a lot of bugs with the deluxe.
  • risingsun
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

god damn, ive seen the X2 4800 up at around 1050!!!!
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most of the NForce boards are supposed to work with it, the Via K8T800 works with it, I know.

WC
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm sad. AMD was supposed to be the hardcore computer geeks secret weapon. Faster, much cheaper, and geared as the shining underdog. Now I've seen intel systems that are CHEAPER than the AMD sides. What in the sam hill is going on here?

I go with AMD because I don't want to spend $1,000 on a processor. Even if I had all the money in the world.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Think of it this way, the 840 performs the same as the 4200, and costs the same. Therefore any higher clocked processors should cost more.
  • wonderland
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: P.R.China

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most programs don't support X64 yet, but it's sure two cores computes more than one at the same time...
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Windows XP Home will NOT support X2 Processors. XP Professional can handle two symmetric virtual or physical processors. The operating system will use and view the processor as two physical processors.

It will then adjust accordingly. Some programs will not get as much of a benefit as ones written to support symmetric multiprocessing.

In Linux you must compile the kernel with SMP support.

When an OS supports multi processing, it will distribute the load between all of the processors unless otherwise told different. You can set the OS to put all background services on one processor and use the primary proc for in-focus applications.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts