Processor heat question

• panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli
  • Loc: Cleveland

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey all -

I'm trying to use an older processor and heat sync in a machine for my mom. I have a Athlon XP (socket A) processor with the heat sync that came with it originally. The mobo is fine and was working for me before I pulled it out of my machine. Here's the issue: when I go to PC Health Status on boot, the processor is running at around 50 degrees Centigrade on start - let alone after use. I think that is too hot... Don't I want around 35 degrees?

I have tried two different Socket A processors with this as well. Both run cooler in my desktop. I did apply thermal paste each and every time I disconnected the heat sync. I know the company recommends thermal tape - but does it matter?

What do you all suggest? I cannot find a new heat sync the size I need right now (low profile case). Is 50 degrees ok?

Thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

50 degrees is a little on the hot side for me.. at full load mine will not go over 44 degrees unless it is a really hot day it will hit a max of 48 degrees.
the thermal paste should be fine, try to get more air flow in and out of the computer that should help
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am actually running it with the cover off! the processor is already 50 on computer startup... how much higher can I expect it to go with mom working on it? i imagine she'll do nothing more than surf the net and use MS Word. Certainly no gaming, and not even PShop...

Should this be ok?
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

it should be fine.. if it starts to over heat it will turn off then u need to look in to why..
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli

Post 3+ Months Ago

excellent. the mom thanks you heartily!
  • crashdan
  • Student
  • Student
  • crashdan

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you're concerned ... take a look here on newegg for socket a fans and heatsinks http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... ategory=62
  • NuAngel
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Erie, PA, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a machine running at over 70 degrees for a LONG time, it never died. I wouldn't be too worried. And besides, I doubt your mom will put it under a full load to often, so it probably won't hit much over 60.

It could stand to be a little cooler, yes, but it's probably not worth the extra money or work, for what it will be used for. If she were going to GAME on it, maybe I'd look into something to keep it cooler under a full load, but as far as this goes? Nah...

Nu

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts