Processor speed problems- IBM R51 laptop

• jk1986
  • Born
  • Born
  • jk1986

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, first post.
I have a problem with my IBM R51 laptop, in that the computer randomly runs slowly sometimes, and when I right click on my computer- properties, it tells me its running at 599MHz, when it should be 1.7Ghz (says that in the line above)

Intel pentium M 1.7 Ghz processor
Windows XP
768mb Ram

The problem goes away after a reboot, only to reoccur seemingly randomly.
Any ideas whats going on?

Thanks in advance
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is normal in laptops.

What is happening is your laptop is detecting that the CPU is not being "pushed" and therefore dropping the CPU multi to both decrease heat output and power consumption.

Download CPU-Z and Super Pi. Extract both files to your laptop and open them. Run Super Pi with CPU-Z on the CPU profile page, as Super Pi uses your CPU to generate Pi to X decimal places, you will see your CPU speed increase accordingly.

You don't have to download the programs if you dont want to, just thought you may want to see what is going on for yourself.

Welcome to Ozzu btw.
  • jk1986
  • Born
  • Born
  • jk1986

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have downloaded CPU-Z, although Super Pi's download link isn't working for me at the moment.
Problemm is, CPU-Z shows the processor speed to be ~1700Mhz, whilst windows is still stays 600?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Close down all applications other than CPU-Z and see what readings you get from "System" and CPU-Z then.
  • jk1986
  • Born
  • Born
  • jk1986

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, just did that, same results, 'system' says 600, and CPU-Z says 1.7Ghz. Just to check, I am looking at the core speed right?
Also, I downloaded superpi elsewhere, ran that and neither number changed.
Do you think windows is just reading it wrong?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is a little bizzare, at least one should change whilst Super Pi is running.

Yes, in Super Pi, the speed at which your CPU is running at is in the middle left clocks section named Core Speed.

It would seem one is reading the core speed incorrectly.
  • jk1986
  • Born
  • Born
  • jk1986

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm well I just hope its windows reading it wrong. CPU-Z's reading is fluctuating slightly, whereas the windows one always stays on the same values, 599, 255 or 1.7 when working properly. This suggests to me that CPU-Zs probably correct.. although I don't know all that much.

Guess I'll just restart again, as I said its only an occasional thing so not too much hassel.

Thanks for the help!
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personaly I regard CPU-Z's readings higher than the windows readings as windows said the FSB of my mobo was 1100 when my CPU fequency was 290 and my HT was x3 making 870 which is what CPU-Z was reading.
  • webseoservice
  • webseoservice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting Question.

Same thing happened on PC, Who show less than actula value in property

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts