is my psu/mo-board dead just cuz they're crispy?

• champi0n
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well ok, so... my main server was getting a little funky (2ghz cpu, 1ghz ram).
I figured the problems were due to the hard drive... so i transfered it to my back up server (2.2ghz cpu, 768 ram) And all is well...

Except for the other day when i was putting some new hard drives into the now secondary server (2ghz/1ghz)... i was just shutting down a live CD boot, so it ejected my cd and shut down... i rebooted... nothing came up on screen. My cd rom wouldnt close (and its now stuck open :p). I shut down and re-bootd again... my cpu and case fan came on, but i noticed the LED's would flicker as of loss of power...ok great, psu is gone *cry* so i went and bought one today. (as well as a fancy new external ide->usb)

So to make a short story even longer, i go to remove the power supply connector from the motherboard and its a little tougher to get off.... so then this is the next thing i see once i pop it off...

I think to myself "hrmmmm... that cant be good".. now i look down at my motherboard....

DOH!

So ok, i dont think im going to plug my new $80 psu into this. But im thinking... whats the likely hood that my RAM and cpu are dead too? and my vid card? Motherboard gotta be dead (*cries*) but hopefully i can salvage something?!

My other pc is going thru a virus scan because my mouse is going all over the monitor even without one plugged in a boot... so i cant test on that. And even then its a different socket so i cant test my cpu

Any thoughts? :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• champi0n
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

So it's pins 4,6 & 19,20
4 (+5v dc)
6 (+5v dc)
19 (+5v dc)
20 (+5v dc)

so all the +5V DC signals got fried

And i tried another power suppy (an older one) and frie that too :)
haha crap
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

time to try a new mobo. seems like something got crossed or melted

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts