Pulse Width Modulation Fans

• Wesley/g
  • Wesley/g

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have asked questions about my computer being hot in the past, yes, but I have a new thing here to my belief. I bought my computer premade from hp, an xw6200. It has this "Pulse Width Modulation Fan" title. I have looked it up and it says something about being able to change with temperature or other system command. Does anyone know if this means my computer will automatically adjust to dangerous temperatures? I have 15k scsi so I am somewhat worried about what my nvidia card tells me. It says 41 C for ambient temperature. The graphics chip itslef is at 57, not bad for nvidia really. I can lower the two down to about 35 C and 50 C by enabling "full speed case fans" in the bios. Does that mean it wont work by itself to vary the fan speed? I would keep it at high speed but its terribly loud. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

What other options can you enable for the fan in the bios? When you enable full speed do they stay at full speed until you shut down the pc?
  • Wesley/g
  • Wesley/g

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's the only option in "Thermal", that is to enable or disable full speed fans. At this speed they will take a while to get up to and to slow down to after shut down im guessing because it is going so fast that it dosent just happen right away.
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

If there are only two fan options and the fans don't change speed when set to "full speed," then its pretty safe to say that the fans aren't adjusting to different temperatures on that setting.

If the fan speed changes on its own when you disable "full speed" then the fan doesn't work by itself when full speed is enabled.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts