Question about my AMD processor.

• hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15
  • Loc: Antioch, IL

Post 3+ Months Ago

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 2000MHz HT 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor, this is my processor. Its a 2.01 ghz processor. What would that equal to a Pentium processor in ghz speed?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

the 3800+ is supposed to mean that it is comparable to a 3.8ghz Pentium. I'm not sure if that is just AMD fan boy stuff or the truth.
  • Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Saint Joseph, MO

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow. thats suprising.. i alwayz wondered what them numbers ment :-) thanks grinch
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

it is not what it means but it is a good rule of thumb to go by. the real speed is 2.01 ghz but the way they are made and the way they run make it seem or run as fast as 3.8Gzh
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

CowKiller wrote:
it is not what it means but it is a good rule of thumb to go by. the real speed is 2.01 ghz but the way they are made and the way they run make it seem or run as fast as 3.8Gzh

Actually it is what it means.

CNET wrote:
However, the chipmaker's only problem with the launch is megahertz. AMD has downplayed the usual measurement of chip speed in favor of a new naming plan that implicitly compares its chips with those from competitor Intel. The 1800+ Athlon XP will roughly provide similar performance to Intel's 1.8GHz Pentium 4, according to benchmark testers and analysts. The 1800+ Athlon XP also costs $252 in volume, $4 less than volume amounts of the rival Intel chip.

http://news.com.com/AMD+shuffles+number ... tml?tag=nl

Quote:
To combat the problem, AMD decided to completely revamp its chip marketing. Along with promoting the XP designation, AMD will downplay megahertz and gigahertz. Instead of selling a 1.5GHz Athlon, AMD will sell the chip as an Athlon 1900+. The new number is expected to roughly correlate to the equivalent speed of a Pentium 4. But direct comparisons, which would force megahertz matching, will probably be avoided.

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-273176.html

Dangles
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

So I was right :D
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago