Question about 3.5 inch floppy drive

• wolfspirit
  • Born
  • Born
  • wolfspirit

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know, I am speaking of ancient things here lol. My problem I am having is my 3.5 inch floppy drive (A Drive) will read the first disk I insert, but will hold the information until I reboot the computer. It will act like it is reading different disks I insert but will only show info from the first disk only. I have tried 2 different (known good) 3.5 in floppy drives and they both act the same. I have a home built computer running XP Pro with a 2.4 GHz dual core AMD processor with 2 Gigs of DDR RAM. I can't find anything in the BIOS either that I know of that is causing this. Can anyone help with this?

Normally I wouldn't care but I have old files that I would like to save onto my computer and transfer to new media but I don't want to reboot my puter every time I want to read a new disk.

Many thanks ahead of time!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know it's a basic question but are you refreshing the explorer window each time you insert a new floppy?

If you are, make a test with the command prompt. Let's say the name of the drive is a:
type a: and press enter and the command prompt when you have a floppy in the drive. Then run dir/p and press enter
Note what files are on that floppy. Insert a different floppy and run dir/p again.
The output should change and you should see the next set of files.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts