Question about swapping mobos

• magnumPI
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • magnumPI
  • Loc: Inside my Head

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok this is my first comp that i have ever put together. So you can imagine the damage I've done to the mobo. What I'm wondering is if possible to buy the same mobo and swap it with the damaged mobo (its causing problems like not letting me install programs, randomly restarting, etc.) I may even get a new HD to be safe. Everything else is relatively new and shouldnt need to be swapped. Answers? suggestions?
--Jake
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• manuleka
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: NZ, Wellington

Post 3+ Months Ago

can you state the status of the board? what condition its in? old or new?
  • magnumPI
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • magnumPI

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok you know those little pins on the back of the mobo? some of them are bent out of shape. i didnt use the spacers when i first tried fitting it in., so when i started plugging in the IDE cables and what not, it added unnecessary stress to those little pins in the back. I'm also pretty sure i didnt discharge any static to the mobo either...i used the static bag as much as possible. Its qutite new though, bought it off of newegg. Its an ECS NForce4 K8N mobo (if i can remember, im at work now so i cant look at the box). it was relatively cheap too...around 80 bucks
  • manuleka
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, so you didn't use spacers! are you refering to the mounting poles? which the board sit on against the case floor or wall?

did you boot the system when you first mount the board without the spacers?
  • magnumPI
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • magnumPI

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha yes i did. big mistake! i saw the stress on the board so i placed the poles/spacers in...its actually a long story. I originally bought a cheapo case from xoxide.com. i installed the mobo on that without the spacers (which caused me to bend the pins and stress the board). tried powering it up...never worked because the switch on the case was faulty! bought an antec lanboy case for 20 bucks and used spacers this time! powered the computer up...had some problems installing because of freezes and blue screens, but eventually installed Windows XP sp2. which brings me to here...now i can surf the internet but sometimes ill randomly blue screen. or when i try to install something, it blue screens. i am more than sure that its either the mobo or the HD. The mobo had the most obvious evidence (bent pins, handled by a noob). so there you have it hehe. but i what i want to know is:

CAN I BUY THE SAME MOBO, REPLACE IT AND HAVE EVERYTHING UP AND RUNNING?
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Under Your Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

dude, just a suggestion. start off smaller. ;)

and there could be thousands of resons for the blue screens. Heats the #1 thing.

did you use thermal paste inbetween your CPU fan and CPU?

and whats your proc. and CPU fan?

Tell us your specs! just wanna know whats you've built!
  • manuleka
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

agree with elitehunter "start small"...

bending soldering needles at the back of the board won't do much harm unless they are touching each other (fry time)

i suggest trying your HD on another PC first! that should tell you if its OK or NOT... then you can go to the board

this may be time consuming (with all the tests) but might save you $$$ ... that is if you have the time :)
  • magnumPI
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • magnumPI

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok here's my comp:

-ECS NFORCE4-A939 (1.0) Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard
-AMD64 +2800 cpu
-Seagate 40GB SATA HD
-1GB Corsair XMS ddr ram
-x-connect 500w PS /w rounded wires
-LiteOn DVD-ROM/CD-RW

in regards to the thermal paste: I put a drop about the size of a dime, staying 1/2 away from the edge just as the instructions said. its quite sticky, and i dont know if thermal paste was spread onto the sides (maybe take the cpu fan off and check?).

Ii will also try the suggestion of the crappy HD...that could be it too because i used the same winXP cd that corrupted my bro's Dell machine. I ended up buying my own copy of winXP, which works, but has those problems which i mentioned before.

thanks for the suggestions guys! no doubt my second comp will involve more planning.
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

A dime??? no, its a grain of rice....and spread it evenly over the cpu die....

Your ram may not be compatable with the board, thats a long standing NForce glitch(anal retentive about ram) the x-connect may not be sufficient for the psu, what are its specs??? with the 64 bit you have to have a very solid 12v rail or it will glitch up or sometimes not even run....learned this when building my first 64 bit rig....went through 3 different brands of psu ...which all tested fine on the voltage meter but were not strong enough to run my rig. Another thought also....you may have to take the ram out of dual channel mode and run it in singular for your innitial installing of everything.

WC

magnumPI wrote:
ok here's my comp:

-ECS NFORCE4-A939 (1.0) Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard
-AMD64 +2800 cpu
-Seagate 40GB SATA HD
-1GB Corsair XMS ddr ram
-x-connect 500w PS /w rounded wires
-LiteOn DVD-ROM/CD-RW

in regards to the thermal paste: I put a drop about the size of a dime, staying 1/2 away from the edge just as the instructions said. its quite sticky, and i dont know if thermal paste was spread onto the sides (maybe take the cpu fan off and check?).

Ii will also try the suggestion of the crappy HD...that could be it too because i used the same winXP cd that corrupted my bro's Dell machine. I ended up buying my own copy of winXP, which works, but has those problems which i mentioned before.

thanks for the suggestions guys! no doubt my second comp will involve more planning.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol when i put thermal paste on just do a strait line down the CPU core.
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is the incorrect way to apply thermal paste...lol....

WC

EliteHunter wrote:
lol when i put thermal paste on just do a strait line down the CPU core.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol: oh well. Works for me. 34ÂșC! (idle)
  • magnumPI
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • magnumPI

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok may it wasnt the size of a dime, but the thermal paste was at least 1 inch from each corner...ill see what i can do to test all those theories u got there
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

you know, the Thermal issues have got to be the most difficult thing in a PC. lol when i built my first PC it was a wreak. took me 4 months after i got all the parts to get it going.

the worst thing was everything was OEM. (no manuals & no Ozzu to help!) :shock:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts