2 questions about my PC problems, lol.

• hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15
  • Loc: Antioch, IL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Question 1:
My computer can no longer recognize any cd drive that is connected with an IDE cable(havent tried any other connection because i dont have a drive with another cable). My motherboard is a Nforce4 SLi Premium. It was working fine for a while and then I stopped using it for a while, then I went to use it and now it doesnt even show up in My Computer or Disk Management or my Bios. The drive's LED light stays on the whole time and cannot eject the drive. when I disconnect the IDE cable and keep the power cable plugged in, it can eject and acts normal. It even works in my friends computer, so I'm thinking that I changed a setting that I wasnt supposed to. How can I get my drive working again?

Question 2:
When I start up windows, everything loads up really fast, EXCEPT for my network drivers, they load up about 5 minutes later. If I click on start and then connect to, the tast bar freezes. Also, once my Local Area Connection 1 and 2 start up, my internet is really slow about 3/4 of the time. I end up restarting and all of a sudden the internet is really fast again, untill i restart. But the network connections always take around 5 minutes to load up. I tried updateing the drivers from the Nvidia site and it didnt really seem to fix it, so I really want my cd drive to work so i can just use the motherboard cd. ANY help greatly appreciated.
  • tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

hyawatha15 wrote:
Question 2:
When I start up windows, everything loads up really fast, EXCEPT for my network drivers, they load up about 5 minutes later. If I click on start and then connect to, the tast bar freezes. Also, once my Local Area Connection 1 and 2 start up, my internet is really slow about 3/4 of the time. I end up restarting and all of a sudden the internet is really fast again, untill i restart. But the network connections always take around 5 minutes to load up. I tried updateing the drivers from the Nvidia site and it didnt really seem to fix it, so I really want my cd drive to work so i can just use the motherboard cd. ANY help greatly appreciated.

I've got the exact same problem with a computer of mine, no idea how to fix it and ive tried everything. Anyone got any ideas?
  • hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15

Post 3+ Months Ago

bump, please help...
  • hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15

Post 3+ Months Ago

i really need to get my cd drive at least working, does anybody have any idea what the problem could be? even if u dont know 4 sure, give me ur opinions on what it can be besides a dead drive because i know it works in my friends computer.
  • Rageweaver
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Rageweaver
  • Loc: FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried another CD drive? Like from another computer? The cables could be shot...How old is the computer?
  • hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, I'm pretty sure it has to do with the IDE ports on my motherboard because every other cd drive that i tested has the same problem, i have even tried 4 different IDE cables and the same problem persists. Im thinking of just buying this piece ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatin ... ize=&Page= )that converts IDE to SATA and I think that should make it work just fine. The computer is only 3 months old and I built it myself. The motherboard is an ASUS A8N-SLi Premium and the power supply is 550 watts so I know thats not the problem and it did work for the first 2 months I had it. ALSO, I seemed to fix the network problem by installing the latest NVidia Chipset Drivers. Thanks for the reply.
  • hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, is my best option to buy the part i listed in the post above or does any one know of a fix for this?
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Make sure both IDE channels are enabled in you BIOS
  • hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, they are both enabled and i tried both.
  • Henryct
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Henryct

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried booting from CD Rom?

Try installing your HDD (as Master) with your CD ROM in any of your friends PC.

The problem might be Windows

_____
Tips and information for your next cruise travel.
http://www.cruisetopics.com
  • hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15

Post 3+ Months Ago

the harddrive i am using is using Sata instead of IDE. I did try the booting from Cd and I think it froze the PC, ill try it again to make sure.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Make sure the drive is set to the right channel or cable select. For the master port on the IDE cable, it should be on master or cable select. For the slave it should be set to slave or cable select. Also - make sure that if it is on the slave port or set to slave that you have a master drive that is set to master.

Then make sure all the cables are in FIRMLY. When you load windows if you still can't see the drive. Remove and replace your IDE channel drivers for your motherboard. After you do that reboot a few times and try to find firmware for the drive.

If you STILL can't see the drive either a.) Your drive is dead or b.) your IDE cable is dead or c.) You motherboard IDE channels are dead.

First I would replace the IDE cable and try it. Then I would try a different drive or try the drive in another machine. If both those fail, then your motherboard is dead.

Or the motherboard drivers are corrupt or non-existant. Updating the drivers might help.
  • hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, thanks for the reply, I think i am going to uninstall the IDE drivers and reinstall them because i know that the problem is not with the dvd drive or cable. is it possible for just my 2 IDE ports to be dead and not anything else?
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is possable they are dead, but not real likely. IDE drivers? You don't usually need drivers for the interface itself.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

nForce4 had some notorious IDE drivers. They usually don't have standalone "Drivers" but they are part of the chipset drivers and it is something that is possible to rule out before scrapping a mobo.

Most of the time you install the IDE drivers from the package to enable UDMA6 (where the default is set to UDMA5). Some older motherboards have drivers to handle ATA raid (which isn't used in desktop archs really).

I have had some servers where I have used ATA drives as cheap hot-spares. SAS has completely done away with that practice though. Because now you can just hook a cheap SATA drive as a hot spare. No reason to spend the money on overly expensive 15k rpm drives for a hot spare that may never be used.
  • hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right, the whole motherboard is fine(everything works) except for the IDE ports, there are two of them. One is black which is supposed to be for DVD drives and the other is blue for the HDD's, but niether work. When the drive is connected, the light just stays on and its frozen and it happens with my friends drives that we know work because they were being used on his pc. Im guna try the chipset drivers again, but i think i already did that. Thanks for everyone's help so far.

(EDIT) I tried the Chipset drivers again and they did not solve the problem. Is there some kind of a setting that I could of accidentely changed in windows to make it not work? I also ordered a 10 dollar IDE to SATA converter wich i hope will work. I got battefield 2142 but i cant play it because i cant install it. any other ideas?
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess either a SATA to IDE or a USB to IDE adapter would be your best workaround
  • hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL, I thought battleifield 2142 came out the 17th of this month, but its next month, so, i guess i have time! lol.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

hyawatha15 wrote:
I got battefield 2142 but i cant play it because i cant install it. any other ideas

then

hyawatha15 wrote:
LOL, I thought battleifield 2142 came out the 17th of this month, but its next month, so, i guess i have time! lol.

Hmmmmm. Something sounds fishy then. How could you have the game and not be able to install it and then the next day claim the game isn't due to be released for another month?
  • hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15

Post 3+ Months Ago

because I figured that by the time someone read this, i would have bought the game by then. I typed the post, looked at gamespot.com to see if they had a review yet and saw that they didnt have anything yet on their homepage about battlefield 2142 yet. So, then I looked at GameStop.com because thats where I preordered the game and saw that it said 10/17 and I thought it was guna be released 9/17 wich was yesterday.

(edit) Plus, that would be so dumb for me to do that becuase I plan on playing this game alot when it comes out and the reasone is for the stats, and if i got it illegaly, i dont think i could play online and get my stats up. Im not doing illegal stuff here, i just want my drive to work again, i havent been able to use it in about 2 months.
  • hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I got the new adapter and I am having a problem. I already have my Harddrive connected to the motherboard using Sata slot 1 out of 4 and then i connected the dvd drive to sata slot 2 out of 4. what happpenend next is windows just sat their loading for ever, i left it for 10 minutes and still nothing.

Do I have to set the dvd drive to something in particulure or do i have to use RAID (ill figure out how that works after i post this)?

Also, When I unplugged the Sata dvd chord, it loaded windows just fine again, so it has to be something with the settings of the drive, because the the drive can eject and it powers on just fine.
  • hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry, but, *bump* I really need to know how to fix this problem.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts