Quick video card opinion. (time sensitive)

• GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My friends father came to me to breathe some new life into his HP Pavilion desktop. It's got Vista x64, but has 8 GiB memory and an anemic GeForce 9600GS. I'm putting Win7x64 Home Premium on it and throwing in a raptor drive and a new video card.

However, the interior computer layout is upside down and backwards and I'm having a hard time visualizing if a card will fit. I know HP pulls crap to stop people from buying non HP-branded extras, like sticking a heatsink right where the second slot of a video card would go and the like. It's not the length, its the width. I've run into it before, and I don't want to again, but I don't have another card to reference if it will fit or not. I'm not worried about power, it's got 4 extra molex connectors and I have 53,961 adapters in a box somewhere next to the Ark from the Indiana Jones Movie.

Looking at this one, pretty sure it will fit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127527(newegg)

Actually, I was originally looking at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127551(newegg) but it went deactivated on me. However, for $50 cheaper I think the other card will do just as well. It's still GDDR5 and it has a little more memory.

I'm looking to order by Monday morning.

I think I am just being paranoid. Of course I've run into cards that go thick the opposite way of other cards. It's not like they specify butt or belly bulge. I wish they did.

Am I crazy? I don't think so. I think I just need another one of these:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're just going to loose the PCI 4x slot if you use that card. I dont see any reason why it wont fit.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

The video cards that I have used that are wide like that usually just take up one extra spot like where the PCI 4x slot is. If length is not an issue I also see no reason why it wouldn't fit either.

I completely dislike HP, the last thing I bought from them was a HP 2000C printer, they actually tracked how long you were using the ink cartridges and if it was over around 6 months old, even if the tank was full it would give you an error that you need a new ink cartridge because it expired. The only work around I found was to set the clock back each time I wanted to print. Still, ever since then they gave me the impression they were trying to bilk me for as much as they could. Since then I have not bought from them, and will never buy from them again.

Newegg is great though, if it doesn't fit I am wondering if they would let you return it or exchange it?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not worried about losing the spot. It's more a matter of if it will interfere with the USB slots and the S/B heat sink.

The reason is, I have seen a few cards that are double-wide, but some put that extra bulge up and some down.

If it's a "normal" card that gives the bulk and takes up the extra space on the top, it's fine. I think it will fit.

I dislike HP as well. Especially their printers. I moved to a Brother j615W and it works great, but it does suck up ink pretty fierce.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

In the picture of the card there, can't you tell which way the extra bulge is going?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not the one in the currently in the PC, I mean the new one.

I had this desktop at work a while back, it was an HP Dual processor workstation that I went to upgrade the video card on. Apparently, HP had special cards made that went down from the PCI-E port.

I'm sure the card will fit, now that I mull over it. It's just I didn't want to make that mistake again.

With a PC I build it's easier, but not always. I see a lot of times where people run into space issues either from the motherboard or the case.

It's terrible that there isn't some sort of guiding standard. Fit the GPU into a small set of configurations. Like with motherboards, they have ATX, BTX, E-ATX, etc...

They need that with video cards. All to often, they make these cards overly massive and they don't fit into anything, or you can't fit the 2, 3 or 4 cards if you are doing SLI/Crossfire x. Even on boards and cases made for it.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I know what you mean, I typically always build my computers and I remember one card I had purchased a long time ago that caused some issues, I think it was a Nvidia GeForce 7800. Normally I have no problems, but this card was much longer than I anticipated. Thank goodness the hard drive tray was removable so I was able to get it in there, but at first glance I was going to have a major problem. They should keep the sizes within some sort of standard so that problems like that wouldn't even exist.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I always buy full towers when I build any computer where I'm going to be putting any sort of high end graphics card in. My friend recently build a new computer, he bout a Radeon 6870 and it barely had enough room to fit in the length of his case. All wires had to be routed under the card because there was no room between the back of the card and the HDD slots. It was a good thing they put the power connectors on the top of the card and not sticking out the end.

The card extends the length of a PCI x16 slot past its connector. its a good 13" long.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah that was precisely a problem I remember with my card too, it needed a 12V connector to plug into it, and not only was the card long but it plugged in at the end of it versus the side! I managed to get it all to work though, the card actually extended into the removable hard drive tray when I was all done.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts