Quiet Cases

• al_ngl
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok so I've been upgrading my hardware piece by piece with new components that can make a bit of noise:
Ati Radeon X1600 w/ Zalman VF900 fan
Thermaltake POLO 735 for Athlon 64 3200+
XClio 450W PSU with 120mm loud fan

Anyway, these parts can all be fairly quiet when turned all the way down, but my case is crap ($32) and amplifies any movement, especially my two hard drives and my PSU. sound dampening kits don't do much because it is just a crappy case. Please suggest ATX cases under/around $100 that aren't very loud. Humming and whirring are starting to get a little old.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure of one for about $100 but for around $ 200 you could get a real nice Lian Li case. Here is their quiet model-

http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Chassis/ ... -V1100.htm

Hope this helps
Dangles
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go on eBay get an old server tower case. Those things are made of 10 pounds of steel and wont be moving around like the little tin cases that are sold now.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not sure how quiet they are but they look cool

http://suissacomputers.com/
  • al_ngl
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks. I've been wanting one of the Lian Li's, but I can't afford $200 on a case right now. Those wooden cases from Suissa look really cool, and the wood would probably make it soundproff too, right? Does anybody know if they sell JUST their cases without buying a new computer? I see the idea of the server case, but wouldnt a server case be freakin huge? I need a case less than 10 inches wide and about 24 inches deep to fit on my desk. Also, does anyone know how quiet Chenming cases are? I saw one on newegg that is about $70 and I want to know if it's quiet or not.
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could always try getting some sound dampening products like this

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3039/ ... tml?tl=g33

The have a bunch of stuff to quiet a case:

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l1/g33/Ultra_Quiet.html

Dangles
  • al_ngl
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

al_ngl wrote:
sound dampening kits don't do much because it is just a crappy case.

I know what your saying, but they drive cages and the case itself are crappy enough that if I were to get dampening to fix it, I would be spending the price of a new (and much better) case to do it. Plus, I would much rather have a case that is quiet without dampening. I've already checked out frozencpu's sound dampening stuff, but I really think the vibration isn't in the drives themselves or any component, just that the case amplifies any sound. Thank you.
  • avalanchez71
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • avalanchez71

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have an Antec Super Lan Boy -- although I'm not finding a page for it on NewEgg ATM. The HDD's are mounted on rubber grommets, therefore dampening their vibration. It's probably the quietest case I've ever had....and highly recommended. The case was about $80 when I picked it up. It's two (included) 120mm fans are more than enough -- and very quiet.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts