Quiet hard drives

  • Solarian
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • Solarian
  • Posts: 5
  • Loc: Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello everyone,

I have a simple question. What is the quietest hard drive (80 GB +) on the market today?
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6376
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

never had this question posed to me...hmm...let's see....

I've used a lot of different brands, but the major ones (western digital, maxtor) seem to be good. I never had any problems with noise with
either of those.
  • iBold
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • iBold
  • Posts: 123

Post 3+ Months Ago

What are you using now that's giving you such a problem with noise??
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 23455
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maxtor's, Western Digitals, and Samsungs are the three quietest drives I've ever owned. I have two sitting next to me and one at work and all I hear are the power supply fans....and that is a soothing sound... *lol

(The samsung has probably been the absolute quietest.)

Added note -- I did have a friend who went round-about with Maxtor once on noisy drives and it wasn't 'til the third one they sent him he got a quiet one. It was probably a fluke, but I thought I'd mention it.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 794
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

Even with the sides off of my cases I hear the drone of the fan more than I hear the hard drives inside. I have western digital, maxtor, and a few other brands that I can't remember the names of right now. All of them are pretty quiet. If it is making alot of noise then there might be a problem with it. Backup your data to a tape drive, CD or DVD just in case it deciedes to quit working all together. Enjoy :D
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6376
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
I have two sitting next to me and one at work and all I hear are the power supply fans....and that is a soothing sound.
you should get out a little more :eek5:

hehehe j/k ;)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 23455
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol at Unflux. At home I have 2 computers next to me (one with an old Seagate slave -- that's a noisy little bugger for sure), and one about 10 feet from me doing nothing but distributed computing. At my new office at work I have 2 servers, 1 remote client, and 2 workstations sitting to the right and left of my desk. One's mine - the other I'm prepping for use.

Yep -- ImaGeek.

But more to the point, I don't hear a single hard drive running amongst them, and they are all either Western Digital, Samsung, or Maxtor. I've had two Western Digitals go belly up on me in the past, but not the other two. My personal pref would be the Samsung. Other than that all I hear are fans.

In the meantime, I do get out when I want to. For the time being, I like this. Later when/if I get bored with it, I'll go back to playing guitar.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6376
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

the shame in my comments are that I am the same way ;)
  • snowey_white
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 43

Post 3+ Months Ago

Samsung hard disk fujitsu siemens pc only thing i hear is monitor humming a bit
  • Solarian
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • Solarian
  • Posts: 5
  • Loc: Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi everyone! :D

Thanks for the info. The hard drive being used was a Maxtor and it sounded like a Boeing 747. Computer is in a living room.

Drive has been changed for a Seagate. It is extremely quiet.

Sorry I couldn't get back sooner. :(

I'm happy to say that I'll be here more often!!
  • The1
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 89
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 is one of the quietest because they use fluid bearings
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Posts: 1258
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm about to get a 300gig Seagate for $99. CompUSA <3
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1461
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

CompUSa </3 because i never get rebates :(
i have a hitachi right now and the only thing i can hear are the psu fans, and 2 of the 5 [functioning] case fans
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 400
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
...Added note -- I did have a friend who went round-about with Maxtor once on noisy drives and it wasn't 'til the third one they sent him he got a quiet one. It was probably a fluke, but I thought I'd mention it.

What had me upset about those three 120GB drives was that they were advertised as being whisper quiet due to some new liquid bearing or some such tech.
It wasn't until they ran out of the 120 GB drives at the depot that they sent me a 160 GB drive, but using the older ATA-100 interface not the (then-new) ATA-133 spec.
The 120's were incredibly noisy...even above the sound of three case fans and CPU and North bridge fan in a Lian Li aluminum case :)

The older 160 could barely be heard...oh well :)

C.C.
  • The1
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 89
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cold Canuck wrote:
ATNO/TW wrote:
...Added note -- I did have a friend who went round-about with Maxtor once on noisy drives and it wasn't 'til the third one they sent him he got a quiet one. It was probably a fluke, but I thought I'd mention it.

What had me upset about those three 120GB drives was that they were advertised as being whisper quiet due to some new liquid bearing or some such tech.
It wasn't until they ran out of the 120 GB drives at the depot that they sent me a 160 GB drive, but using the older ATA-100 interface not the (then-new) ATA-133 spec.
The 120's were incredibly noisy...even above the sound of three case fans and CPU and North bridge fan in a Lian Li aluminum case :)

The older 160 could barely be heard...oh well :)

C.C.


what brand? prob maxtor or fujitsu or samsung.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 400
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup, Maxtor drives...I don't have the model #'s handy, sorry.

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 46 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
cron
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.