Radeon 9800 Pro INstall issues.

• Chubbyrain
  • Born
  • Born
  • Chubbyrain

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi i recently purchased a 9800 for my PC but its not even loading windows for me. It shows a blank screen, but the PC seems to be booting up windows.
Here are my comp specs:

AMD XP 1800+
Abit motherboard KX7 - 333
350 Watt power supply
Dvd-r writer
2 hard drives
floopy
and 512 DDR ram
I'm currently using a geforce 2 card.

I have uninstalled the geforce drivers, and even tried installing the catalyst drivers before installation but it doesnt seem to work. i have tried a bare boot with just one hard drive and video card, but the screen remains blank. With all devices connected it makes a loud beep. i've looked around and people have said that it might be the power supply. that 350 isnt enough. The only thing i havent tried doing was updating the bio, which i've looked up as well and don't really see the difference with the default bios and the updated one. (not sure about this one) Anyway i'm new to the forums, and this is my first post. So go easy.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Mr. Wiggles
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mr. Wiggles
  • Loc: Brizzle

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oooh, what could it be.
When I put in my new Radeon, it said I had to hook it up to the power supply, so make sure for a start that the card is completely in place and the power supply is connected to it.
It could be a power supply issue.
  • Chubbyrain
  • Born
  • Born
  • Chubbyrain

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, i have retried installing and connecting the power supply cables, even using different wires from the power supply. Still no good.
  • The1
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

usually windows doesn't like ati to nvidia or nvidia to ati card swaps you will prob have to reformat and reinstall windows, im assuming you are using windows xp here, 350w on that setup should be enough, either that or you have a dud card. Maybe test it in another system if possible. The catalyst drivers wont install unless you have an ati card in your system.
  • Hellsbellboy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you positive that you have the card sitting properly in the AGP port?
What motherboard are you using? might need a bios flash if it's dated.
Can you test the Card on another system?
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should check your motherboard manual, if you hear a long beep, thats your motherboard giving you a clue as to whats wrong. Looking at my Asus m/b manual, it says that "One long beep followed by three short beeps" means that a video card is not found or video card memory is bad. Make sure your card is plugged in all the way. If it is and it still doesnt work, most likely its a problem with the card.
  • Skudor
  • Skudor
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had the same problem a while back on a 15" monitor so all i did was change the monitor to 17" and it work perfectly, cause the resolution of the graphics card was to high for the 15" monitor to handle, I am not saying this i solution to your problem but maybe try changing monitors it just may sove your problem.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts