Radeon9800 graphics card/PC won't start up

• Fryingpan
  • Born
  • Born
  • Fryingpan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a Sony Viao computer with Windows XP installed on it. I purchased the Radeon9800/All In Wonder graphics card to install. Prior to that, I uninstalled the previous graphics card (SiS graphics card). I followed the instructions to hook up the card to the computer's power source first, then I installed the actual card into an emtpy slot. Then the computer froze, I looked around for something and took it out. (It looked like something with DDR/RAM?? written on it with about 5 chip looking things on it.)

When I restarted it again, the computer started beeping. So I turned it off and put that card with the 5 chips on it back in. Then after that I tried to turn the computer back on again and nothing shows up on my screen. My monitor has a yellow light up which means nothing from the computer is being transffered to the monitor. The computer does not make boot up sounds and it seems as if only the power is on.

I removed the graphics card and attempted to restart the computer again, but it still acts as if only the power was going through and nothing boots, not even a load up screen with text. I tried using a boot up disk to start it up, but I can't even access the screen to change the load up to A drive.

I found this website off of searching on google.com and found someone else with a similar problem except with a HP computer, but that post didn't help me because none of my wires/chips are loose or disconnected.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

the only thing i can think of is to try a different slot.
oh and did u properly ground yourself while working on your pc??
  • Hellsbellboy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

either the card isn't installed properly or it's not getting enough power.. What PSU are u using? brand/Watts..

and I hope you had the computer off when you installed the new GFX Card, kinda sounds like you had it on at the time.. scarey.. :shock:
  • ozzyosb100
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had issues with the Radeon 9800. It seems like its a power hog might need to upgrade your Power Supply (mine was 350W and it want enough) take a look what happened to me: (http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic36416.html)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts