RAID 1 on PowerEdge 1750

• Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Soy Cubano, no puedo ser diferent!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello everyone it has been a while since the last time I posted in here :lol: , Anyways I was wondering if guys could lend me a hand in creating a RAID 1 volume using three HDD of 36GB each, I have been searching for days in Google, trying to find a solution to this, however I must not be doing it right, cause I havent learn anything yet, rofl.

I have a PowerEdge 1750 server, and I'm doing this for learning purposes only, I don't have an OS install so I don't have any danger in losing data.

Thank you for your time
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

What do you mean, you don't have an OS installed? You showed us a Windows device manager.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#Hardware-based

Wiki has a lot on RAID.^^

You probably want to buy a RAID PCI controller card, unless you have one already.

Side note: ZFS by Sun Micro is being hailed as a file system that beats RAID hands down. The only problem is no one has ported it to Windows yet. I thought I would mention it for future reference.
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your response Don2007

Don2007 wrote:
What do you mean, you don't have an OS installed? You showed us a Windows device manager.

Yeah; it doesn't have an OS installed, this is a screen shot before the original HDD was taken out(that's when I bought the other three I have now)... as for a RAID controller, this server already comes with an integrated RAID controller, I have even manage the have access to its BIOS(MPTBIOS), however there isn't any RAID settings in there; In fact I did a Google search on how to set up the MPTBIOS and come up with this:

http://www.lsi.com/DistributionSystem/A ... _51006.txt

Everything is as it is describe except the RAID settings shown in there are not in my server.

I hope I’m making sense.....

Please help...

Thanks
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

If the RAID settings aren't there, then you must have a different BIOS. As I said, you probably have to buy a RAID controller card. Have you decided what OS you are going to run?
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm thinking Server 2003, I was planning on Server 2008 but as long as I have a CD drive that wont be happening. :) ....

As for the RAID controller, the reason I insist so much in that I have a RAID controller already, is because when I open the Server case, It says "RAID" where the RAID controller is suppose to be, on top of that even Device manager was showing it under the "SCSI RAID CONTROLLER" division.

Please help....

Thank you
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Look for a BIOS update.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

RAID-1 requires only 2 drives, you cannot have a 3 drive RAID-1 config. You would use RAID-5. But that doesn't matter until you figure out what is wrong with the RAID controller.

You can do it within Windows 2003/2008 without using a hardware controller but that is considered software RAID and has some limitations but can be done.
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I have found what my problem is, according with the Dell website below

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/1 ... &cs=&s=gen

I need a RAID key as well as a battery and a memory, in order to activate my RAID controller. I don't know how much of this is true, but it seems that finding those piece of hardware would solve my problem...
:x
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Shadow Knight wrote:
I need a RAID key as well as a battery and a memory, in order to activate my RAID controller. I

I really hate Dell!

Good luck with it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts