RAID 5 Question

• Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I were to set up a RAID 5 array with 3 x 400gb harddrives initially, would I be able to add subsequent 400gb drives to the array in order to increase capacity without reformatitng the array? or would the entire array have to be repartitioned?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some Google searches have yielded this response:

You will be better off backing up the data and rebuilding the array with new hard drive and then restoring data.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

What did you search for? When I ran a search all I came up with were definitions and comparisons and the like...

My problem is I don't want to shell out the money for 6 x 400gb harddrives, so i want to start off with 3, and then increase when I need more space. However, I cannot back up the data, rebuild the array, and copy it back on because that will be the largest storage device on the network.

So is it not possible, risky, or simply 'not as good' to add drives to the array?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It has to do with how RAID 5 works. You could just set up a second RAID 5 with the other 3 disks. Not much of a difference.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, it would be about 400gb of difference, since the capacity of the array is: (Number of drives - 1) * capacity of smallest drive... So I would loose 2 drives to parity instead of just 1...

So I guess I'll just wait a bit longer and shell out the money for the complete array at once... Heck, by the time I actually get it I can probably get 500gb drives for the same price!

Thanks for the help.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a lot of storage space. (as I'm sitting 10 feet from rackmounts with a total of 17TB of storage space). Pesky databases.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You do have a point about the parity and drive space loss. You could do a RAID-0 and just be completely nuts but if that data is important that would be unwise.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Changing any RAID setup is taking a risk. Its just like using partition magic, sure it might work - but I wouldn't trust my life on it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts