Raid 5 Setup for a beginner

• PETES
  • PETES

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
I have recently been asked to build a HP ML370 server using 4 x 40 GB hard disk in a RAID 5 hardware array. Since I am new to this I am currently trying to find a beginners guide to setting this kind of thing up. Can anyone out there give me a brief outline on how things should be carried out or does anyone now of a good reference web-site that will give me a step-by-step guide on how this should be done? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your server should come with an HP SmartStart disk. If it does, it will set the RAID up for you. Just pick RAID-5 during the set-up.
  • PETES
  • PETES

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for that. I should have a SmartStart CD with everything that was delivered. Although it probably sounds like a stupid question but how is installation done through the SmartStart CD? I assume that I install the card into the PCI slot, attach the disks to the controller, assign SCSI ID's to each disk and then reboot the machine off the SmartStart disk? Do I need to go into the SCSI BIOS at all or does the CD bypass this. Thanks again for any help.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have to put the disks in? They didn't come installed already?

But yes, you boot the SmartStart answer some questions then it will copy some files then it will ask for your OS disk. Insert that and it copies files and then reboots and performs the install.
  • PETES
  • PETES

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK so I've set up my disks and they are shown along with their SCSI ID's when booting. Can anyone tell me where I need to go once i boot off the smartstart CD? I've gone into Configure controller but all it has is the controller listed, a constantly turning refresh button and not much else?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Shoud be something like Deploy Server.
  • PETES
  • PETES

Post 3+ Months Ago

I now know what I was doing wrong. There was an onboard SCSI controller and I needed to set the new SCSI controller as the primary PCI boot device. Once this was done I was able to boot into the SCSI BIOS and define my array. Thanks again for all your help dude. :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts