RAM AND HARD DRIVE

• braekdown
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • braekdown

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, i have a 6 year old computer

it takes SD RAM
or so it looks, i looked at the other types of RAM and they dont look like they would fit, but SD does, if i buyy new SD RAM, is there a chance it wont fit in my computer or is there only 1 make of SD RAM
and does RAM need a driver, or can you just put it in and itl work on its own

and on the same computer,i want to buy a new hard drive, have they changed since 1999, gotten bigger or different shape?
and if i put in a new hard drive, will i be able to just put in a windows 98 cd and boot disk and format it, or do i have to do something else
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very simple way to tell if is pc-100/133 ram it will have 3 seperate groups of gold contacts, DDR ram has 2 groups. Should be fine with either because if it takes pc-100 and you were to get 133 it will underclock it to the 100 speed. To be safe I would get under a 100 gb harddrive due to older bios limitations, can't really say if itll fit, depends on the case it is in, the 98 cd if your booting from cd rom will format it.

WC
  • braekdown
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • braekdown

Post 3+ Months Ago

ya the kind it has now has 3 connectors
small meduim and big sizes
there arent different variations of this
and i am getting a 160 or 200 gig hard drive with possibly 2 sticks of ram
128 and 256 mb, is that ok?
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok so we have determined you have either pc-100 or pc-133 ram, Now what type of motherboard is it?? What type of computer is it? The mixing of ram may or may not work. In theory it should be fine, but one never knows. The size of the harddrive may or may not be excepted by your motherboard, older motherboards didnt except sizes over 137 gb and would only format accordingly.

WC

braekdown wrote:
ya the kind it has now has 3 connectors
small meduim and big sizes
there arent different variations of this
and i am getting a 160 or 200 gig hard drive with possibly 2 sticks of ram
128 and 256 mb, is that ok?
  • braekdown
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • braekdown

Post 3+ Months Ago

im kinda lost here, i dont know what kind of computer it is, it doesnt say on it the only thing on it is
"computer resale company"
hardware is all new to me, this is my first time
the hard drive on this computer is 10 gigs
how can i find the motherboard type
and will a 160 gig or over fit in the 10 gigs place?
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

download cpu-z from http://www,cpuid.org and then open it. click on the SPD [or SDP tab, i forget] and see at the bottom if it says 100 or 133mhz. that will tell you the type of ram you need to buy.

but, from what i read [the smal medium and big connector sizes] you should be fine. dont buy too much ram , one more stick of 128 meg would be fine for your comp. you dont need to install any drivers for ram, just be careful when you install it.

and as WC mentioned, i dont think it will adress a hard drive that big.
  • braekdown
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • braekdown

Post 3+ Months Ago

adress the hard drive
u mean it wont work?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally if your computer is that old I would strongly suggest not wasting the money on it. If you go grab a 160GB HDD at around $80, more memory at around $65 your already at $145. You can build a newer computer for as little as $300. You can build even a decent gamer for about $700.

Without knowing exactly what is inside your computer I cannot definately tell you whether or not certain hardware will work or not.

Do what 4ss_munk3y said and get CPU-Z and tell us everything it says about your computer. I have to concur with the rest of the posters and warn you that anything more than 32GB partitions is going to give you a problem. Especially with Windows 98.

Think of it like an older car. Say its a 1982 Honda DX, and you need to put a larger gastank and a bigger radiator in it. The car is only worth $200 and the parts cost $700. Obviously it wouldn't be worth it. Especially since the hardware is so old, you won't get very far with your investment. Maybe a few motnhs, and what if something dies ont he computer and you have to get a new one due to the older parts no longer being available. You just waisted $150 now that you could have put towards that new computer.

I'm not here to tell you what to do, and that you *have* to get a new computer. I am also not here to sell you anything. If you go buy a new computer or not, I in no way benefit or lose from that. I am merely presenting the logical thinking behind a financial decision. The question you really have to ask yourself is this computer really worth it.
  • braekdown
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • braekdown

Post 3+ Months Ago

it says it is 100mhz

and the one im buying says its pc133

will it still work?

and where would i look on the program for hard drive type
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

PC133 will still work, it'll just run at PC100 speeds. You can usually find your hard drive type on the hard drive. It's a white label, but I can tell you with 99% certainty that you have an IDE hard drive. Seriously, read through GT500Shlby's post again (or for the first time if you skipped it). He presents a very logical case for building a new system rather than upgrading.
  • braekdown
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • braekdown

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes but i have an outstanding deal on the ram and hard drive and isnt it like rebuilding the comp by replacing the hard drive and adding RAM
and is there a way to tell what hard drive it is without taking apart the comp,
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

braekdown wrote:
yes but i have an outstanding deal on the ram and hard drive and isnt it like rebuilding the comp by replacing the hard drive and adding RAM

No, it's like reinstalling your computer. You get new RAM, and a different hard drive, but it's like putting a lift kit on a Ford Pinto. Your hard drive will (probably) work in a new system, but your ram won't. I would highly recommend saving your money for a new system at this point.
  • Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

As an example. Due to poverty I have a Green motherboard with a
Cyrix 333 cpu, six years old . The maximum size of harddrive I can use as main is 8.6 Gb.It just will not recognise anything larger as boot drive. It uses pc 100 sdram and with 133 in just beeps..It will not support both types at the same time, and needs a jumper setting on the board to change types. Beware as some pc 100 is 3v and some is 5v. It's almost impossible to find the documentation on old memory as to the voltage as most no longer has the labels attached!! Then most modern applications will not run reliably on older systems..Anything below 400Mhz is a waste of time and money...I must agree with the other posts here as my computer is more trouble than it is worth, if I could afford something better I would be straight to the shop...As a learning project it's fine, and just about does what I want (slowly) but it is not up to it!!
If you are prepared to build a new computer look for a more up to date motherboard, pentium 4 etc...Older ones 1.2 GHz cost U.K 35-40$ with memory still in. you should still be able to use your existing case and drives, though you may need a new psu depending on the type you already have (at or atx) P4's use atx 8)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts