RAM Combination

• quest
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • quest

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

I am in a bit confusion about RAM stick combination support of my motherbaord. Its of Intel and I cannot keep both 128 and 512. I can use 128 and 128 combination. There is no issue written in my mobo manual nor in the site as a choice of combination. What combination is usually supported like how far can be the difference in size? I wish I could get a total of 640 mb of RAM but alas!...whenever I booted with the 128 and 512 kept simaltaneously I get nothing without some colour patches and slits on the screen. But it can boot smoothly with individual sticks.
Thank you.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are those both ddr?
  • quest
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • quest

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes both are DDR400.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

you might be running the sticks in dual channel mode in which case the capacities have to be the same, ie: 512 and 512, 128 and 128.
you can change this by fiddling around in your bios. please give us a model number for your motherboard so that we can further direct you.
  • quest
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • quest

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks think.correctly. Yes I am running dual channel and my Motherboard is 865GVHZ
but I dont know what to do in my BIOS. Can you direct me please?
  • quest
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • quest

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone please? :cry:
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

alright, sorry about the late reply, i have been in san diego for the last little while with limited access to a computer.
read this link and it will clear up your problems.

for dual channel ram to work, you have to meet the following criteria:

1. matching slots on mother board [since you only have two slots, this isn't a problem] CHECK!

2. they both have to be the same size [no, the two sticks you are trying to use are not the same size, you must use 128 and 128, or 256 and 256, or 512 and 512....etc] ERROR!

3. same amount of memory modules on the stick [no, you do not have this. what they mean by this is how many of what capacity memory modules are on the stick that add up to achieve the capacity. it could be 8, 8mb modules making up 64mb of ram on the stick. since you have different capacity ram sticks, this is also wrong] ERROR!

4. internal organization is not a problem for you as you only have 2 sticks of ram. CHECK!

now, as for disabling dual channel mode, i can only offer you a vague guide because i cannot find an accurate one on the web. once you boot up, you usually have to pres one of the following keys; f2 f12, del, or f10, to get to the bios. once there, you should navigate to something like "advanced peripheral management", then to something like "dram configuration" and look around in there for an option to turn of dual channel mode.

another solution i can offer you is to just buy another 512 mb stick of ram and use that with the one you currently have as more ram is always better. just make sure it has the same specifications as the one you have now.
  • quest
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • quest

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you very much think.correctly. Now its clear. I appreciate your help.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts