RAM Heat spreader. what are the chances?

  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 409
  • Loc: Under Your Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently bought 1 GIG of ram But forgot to get the "HeatSpreader". What might happen to my ram if i never get this heatspreader? and What does a heatspreader do to protect your ram? :?:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Posts: 355
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've never used one of those... Never had any problems either.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Posts: 774
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

it basically does what the name says... it spreads the heat from one part of the memmory and desperses it out from the whole stick

and nothing should happen to it unless you are overclocking then u might want to have em
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 816
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heat spreaders are basically all hype. They make memory modules look better, provide a tiny increase in cooling, and give the company more advertising space. Don't worry, you don't need them.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 409
  • Loc: Under Your Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok thats good. thanks! :)
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 199
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

TomK wrote:
Heat spreaders are basically all hype. They make memory modules look better, provide a tiny increase in cooling, and give the company more advertising space. Don't worry, you don't need them.


ummmm no....in lil apps and just gamming u wont do anything to heat them up but in my case i have them on each 1Gb Stick and a fan to boot and they are still running around 100F.....like with most posts i post,i say if u are not going to do more than like web stuff and gaming then u should be ok but if u do ANYTHING more i would be at the store getting some for each stick,if i was you....but ONCE AGAIN,thats just me :lol:
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 816
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

XDUDE wrote:
TomK wrote:
Heat spreaders are basically all hype. They make memory modules look better, provide a tiny increase in cooling, and give the company more advertising space. Don't worry, you don't need them.


ummmm no....in lil apps and just gamming u wont do anything to heat them up but in my case i have them on each 1Gb Stick and a fan to boot and they are still running around 100F.....like with most posts i post,i say if u are not going to do more than like web stuff and gaming then u should be ok but if u do ANYTHING more i would be at the store getting some for each stick,if i was you....but ONCE AGAIN,thats just me :lol:


RAM does not require heat sinks.

Quote:
Products sold specifically for overclocking are sometimes little more than computer decoration. Although this is not a bad thing in itself, buyers should be aware of the marketing hype surrounding some products. Examples include heat spreaders and sinks designed for chips which do not generate a problematic amount of heat.
http://www.answers.com/topic/overclocking


Do you have any proof that heat spreaders are useful? Sure, you may get a few degress drop in temperature with them, but it won't help your performance or stability. RAM modules simply don't get hot enough.
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 199
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

i don't have them AND a fan for nothing,i take them off and they go up to 132F..turn the fan off and it went to 140F, i turned it off because they WILL toast with out them(which i don't want).......heat sinks were used on high end servers and workstation RAM for many years before they got RAM to the public that was fast enough and expensive enough that they put the heat sinks on the RAM for every day computers to keep them from frying(in high end places)....plus,if u read ANYTHING i said u would of heard me say that most people(like u) don't do enough high end app. running and rendering and editing to use the RAM enough to push it,i do and with out my heat sinks i would FOR SURE fry my RAM sticks...my old ram went bad and i am pretty sure it was a heat overload because THEY DIDNT HAVE THEM...

and P.S.,mine do not have "ads" on them..........

ANYWAYS.....EliteHunter
what i am saying as i do in most forms,if u are going to do web stuff some gaming and stuff like that then don't worry about the heat..but if u plan on doing any more than that,play it safe and get the sinks for your RAM,because all it takes is one time of even a few secs of heat greater than what they are meant to take and *POOF* your $150+ stick is done for......if u had just a 256 stick or something then it would not be to bad because they are not to much if it dose fry to get a new one,but a gig is where it starts to get up there in price,as u know....
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 303
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

The ONLY!!!! time you will >>>>>NEED!!!!<<<<< a heat spreader is when using RD ram, aka "RIMM" this ram gets very hot and only runs 1 chip at a time; the heat is then spread down the heatspreader too all of the other chips, this stops the ram from overheating and eventually causing long term damage to itself. Overclocking does not require heatspreaders, no G.Skill ram is sold with heatspreaders and this is some of the best overclocking ram in the world. GDDR3 on grapfics cards runs hotter than normal ram and therefore would be recomendable to put small "ramsinks" on it. Other than this heatspreaders are not needed. Hope this sorts some things out. I have heatspreaders on my ram though, makes me feel good.... :P
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1205
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kingston HyperX has the heat spreaders. I use it because its perdy and blue. And all the women go, "ooh your ram is blue".


:roll:
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 199
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

:?

will.....hmmm..i......dang....
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1205
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ya know, my Fiance said the same thing.
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 199
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL!......that funny..
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1205
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Slow day at work so I'm cruising the board and chit-chatting on the phone before she has to do her rounds. I was laughing about the post and I told her about it and was just like, "Yeah so, you only said yes because I had blue ram in my computers". She kinda paused for a second and went "I.... uhhh...hrmm... yeah, okay"
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 199
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

will...i think i need to pick up some blue ones then..just to hear some say that would be worth it..lol...mine are silver now,but not to many woman like silver,i guess...lol...
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1205
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Blue ram didn't have her say yes. She doesn't know RAM from her elbow. She can use Word, Excel, E-mail, look up stuff on google. Anything else, lost. I start yapping about computers and she just nods and goes "yeah, uhuh, okay, sure".
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 816
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

XDUDE wrote:
i don't have them AND a fan for nothing,i take them off and they go up to 132F..turn the fan off and it went to 140F, i turned it off because they WILL toast with out them(which i don't want).......heat sinks were used on high end servers and workstation RAM for many years before they got RAM to the public that was fast enough and expensive enough that they put the heat sinks on the RAM for every day computers to keep them from frying(in high end places)....plus,if u read ANYTHING i said u would of heard me say that most people(like u) don't do enough high end app. running and rendering and editing to use the RAM enough to push it,i do and with out my heat sinks i would FOR SURE fry my RAM sticks...my old ram went bad and i am pretty sure it was a heat overload because THEY DIDNT HAVE THEM...

and P.S.,mine do not have "ads" on them..........


Explain to me how running "high end apps" puts more stress on your RAM than gaming or general use. Does your RAM overclock itself when it realizes that you're running a "high end app"? Your argument doesn't make sense.

I guarantee that if you take the heat spreaders off almost any RAM that the RAM will run fine. Simply having goor air flow inside your case is more than enough.

Check out this thread at [H]ardOCP: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php ... +spreaders
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 199
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

u have to understand it all to know what i mean..games just load into the ram and play...high end video and audio editing dose full bandwidth streaming off the hard drive and in and out of the ram full time when we are doing a project,games DONT,they load a few hundred mb's of info in and thats it...these programs(the high end apps i use) load the full 32gb's of ram FULL and keep them that way with streaming audio video and effects...there is a HUGE difference there.....
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 816
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

XDUDE wrote:
u have to understand it all to know what i mean..games just load into the ram and play...high end video and audio editing dose full bandwidth streaming off the hard drive and in and out of the ram full time when we are doing a project,games DONT,they load a few hundred mb's of info in and thats it...these programs(the high end apps i use) load the full 32gb's of ram FULL and keep them that way with streaming audio video and effects...there is a HUGE difference there.....


You are incorrect. Games are constantly loading textures, AI, and whatever else is happening in the game. RAM is constantly changing it's contents in ALL applications. Why do you think gamers overclock their RAM?
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 199
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok,fine,u have a closed mind,i cant sit here and tell what u wont listen to,games DO NOT LOAD AS MUCH AS HIGH END APPS!!!!.....God dude,i work with these programs all the time and i play high end games and my ram is a LOT more heated up when i am running my projects than when i play games,there not the same,if u cant get than the forget it...

i have work to do and when i come on here i like to do posts that will help me or someone else and sense all u want to do is tell me i'm wrong when it happens to me at least 5 times a day (Ram heating up MORE than when i play games because i am running high end editing and rendering apps.) then whatever...
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 409
  • Loc: Under Your Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow pplz no need to get mean on each other...i think you are both correct in some ways..even though im a noobie BOTH sides make sence.
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 199
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats for saying that EliteHunter..that is all i was trying to do..because yes 95% of people in the world well never do anything to heat your RAM up enough to hurt it...as for the other 5% (aka ME and MAYBE YOU in time) do do things that can bring problems that most people never even heard of before,like this...,but good God,its only 10 bucks,i don't know y some people fight this so hard..lol.....

ok so ANYWAYS,sorry for losing my kool...i wont get mad anymore(unless a fight is picked:D j/k)...i'v just done a lot of things that some(most) people never heard of/knew was possible so i know what can happen in this case(and i don't pretend to know it all)..so believe me or not,i don't care anymore....:D
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 816
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I honestly can't believe your argument. You are calling me close-minded because I won't agree with your argument that has aboslutely no proof backing it up. You are making assumptions and guesses. You say you want to help people but you're only making up facts that aren't correct.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 409
  • Loc: Under Your Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tom i dont mean to be rude but can we drop it man?
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 199
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

will for me guessing i am sure right on what MY OWN COMPUTER AND workstations ARE DOING!!!!

i'm not telling u what CAN happen,i am telling u what HAS happened to me and many others the recording and movie business,witch i am in..

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.