RAM Speed vs CPU Speed

• manuleka
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: NZ, Wellington

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now i got an EPOX-8RDA3+ MB with Athlon XP 2500 Barton (333MHz FSB), and i'm after some Memory (RAM). The board supports 400Mhz DDR SDRAM, so which one should i go for? I do all sorts of stuff on this System, including Gaming!

Also, i'm a bit confused with the Brandings. Someone mentioned to me before that Generic RAMs are quite cheap but they aren't really that good! What are the reasonably good brands?

One last question: How would the difference in frequency, CPU FSB and Memory's Speed affect the System's performance?

thanks again for any advice!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

get normal PC2700 that should be fine for an FSB of 333

*plum*
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

manuleka wrote:
One last question: How would the difference in frequency, CPU FSB and Memory's Speed affect the System's performance?

Any components of a PC that are above other components speeds automaticaly drop their speed to compensate.

In simple terms, you can slow the top speed of a component, but you cannont increase its top speed (unless you OC, but thats a different matter).

manuleka wrote:
Also, i'm a bit confused with the Brandings. Someone mentioned to me before that Generic RAMs are quite cheap but they aren't really that good! What are the reasonably good brands?

Brands such as Crucial, Kingston and Corsair are all reputable brands. Crucial would be your cheaper bet at around £50 for 512Mb PC 2700.
Obviously the more RAM you get the better.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts