RAM?

• Underdog54
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Underdog54

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok I give. I am somewhat green to computer hardware but I thought if I were to add anohter 1gig memory stick to my 1gig I have now I would notice a differce in performance. The rig I just bought is a dell XPS 400 w/Pent D 2.8,800FSB,DDR2 533Mhz PC4200,Raedon x600 256Hypermemory what ever that means.160gig hard drive. I don't know if this stuff is worth mentioning or not to find out how I can optimize the performace of my rig. I'm not saying it runs poorly I just like to get the best out of what I have. Thats why I went and bought 2 512mb sticks of ram I though the speed of my rig would be close to twice as fast.

Anyway any advice on how I can optimize my rig for less then 200$.

Thanx

Underdog
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Couple of questions.

What speed RAM did you buy?
Was it PC4200 like what you have already installed?

If you purchased a slower speed RAM it will cause your system to revert to the speed of the slower RAM for all of your sticks.

The 1Gig of RAM that was already in your comp, was it 1 stick or 2?

If one you may be better served using another single stick, so your motherboard will utilze the dual channel feature(if it has that feature)

Also, having twice the memory will not necessarily make your computer twice as fast. It really depends on what you are doing with it. From the looks of it, its a gaming rig. When playing a game you should notice a speed increase. But when surfing the web or using general apps like word processing and email you will not see a speed increase. This is because you are probably not taxing your current memory to its limits.

Hope this helps.
Dangles
  • Underdog54
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Underdog54

Post 3+ Months Ago

I bought the same speed that came with the rig. 533Mhz. It came with 2 sticks of 512Mb @533 although I read it can support 667Mhz. I had bought just one stick of 512mb @533Mhz and installed it to later find out that I wasn't utilizing the dual channed memory I have. So yesturday I went and grabbed another stick of 512mb @533Mhz to match the channel that was already installed. I have been playing Battle field 2 and seems like their is not diff with or without the extra memory.

Oh yea I just posted some specs of my rig in the forum about posting specs.

Underdog
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really don't think you are going to notice much difference between 1GB and 2GB, at least not to the naked eye. You might get better FPS during gameplay, applications may load better but nothing that is going to jump out and slap you in the face.
  • Underdog54
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Underdog54

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well that sucks. I guess that was a waste of money. Where could have the money went where I could tell a diff.

Underdog
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

With your specs, not anything I can think of. I wouldn't look at it as a waste of money. I see it as increasing the longevity of your system.
  • Underdog54
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Underdog54

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just wanted to thank you'll for the advice

Thanks

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts