Randomly Rebooting! help please!

• DirkGent
  • Born
  • Born
  • DirkGent

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok,

So I'm a newbie trying my hand at building my own computer. The system I build has these components.

New Intel Prescott 3.2ghz 800 fsb
New Abit IS-20 Micro ATX Motherboard
New Cooler Master Fan/heatsink
New Corsair 512 MB Ram DDR 400 (1x)
and I'm reusing 2 Hard Drives , IDE. one 80gig and one 20gig.
reusing a 1x DVD burner.
I have a 500W power supply that is too big for my case, so it sits on top.
I'm also using onboard video, sound, and LAN.

The problem I'm having is 1, the DDR 400 is being read as 333. Don't know why.

2nd problem, and more importantly is my computer just reboots at random. Seems to do it when I try to do something "intensive"? Happens when I try to burn a disk, or just copy over 300mb file from one HD to the next. Sometimes it will do it when I"m just surfing the net, although that takes a lot longer.

I tried running Memtester.. but that automatically causes a reboot. I was having this problem early on.. and when I got the 500watt power supply, it seemed to help a lot. Instead of rebooting after trying to install anything, now its much less often. I dont think its a Temprature problem, and I should have more than enough Power to run my system.

ANY ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks.
Dirk
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is most likely a power supply issue (what brand is your power supply?) or a heat problem. Try testing the temperatures of your CPU, Video Card, etc.

Also try taking out parts one by one and see if it works without rebooting (ex. Take out video card and try doing stuff).
  • Martin
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Martin
  • Loc: Berlin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Spontaneous rebooting is often caused by faulty, mismatched, or simply the wrong type of memory for your motherboard.

Get yourself another pair of known good memory, make a bios reset to "safe" values, take off all add-in cards and harddisks, then boot from a dos disk (or one of Bart´s wonderful XP Boot CDs) and run a memory check program for a couple of hours.

If the system still reboots or freezes, get yourself a new motherboard.

Martin

geotek.de
meineipadresse.de
  • askldsdklaghj
  • askldsdklaghj

Post 3+ Months Ago

id check your wiring if ur a newb at making computers (like me) you tend to accedently mess up with the wiring it could also be like tomk said power supply.

PS: id get a new video card (think onboards mooch of ur ram slowing ur computer I THINK)
  • DirkGent
  • Born
  • Born
  • DirkGent

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like I said, I dont' think its a Temprature thing, all my readings are well within tolerable levels.

My power supply is a Aspire ATX-500W 12V

And I don't think its the Ram, becuse I was using my old ram (2X) 256 MB DDR 266 and I was having the same problem.

Now I have (1X) DDR 400 512mb.

I'll start disconnecting components and see how It goes.

:( What a pain.
  • Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Dakota, United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

Look to the memory...same problem upgraded to memory that was "matched" to the MB and that fixed the problem. You have to have the speed of the memory the same as the system bus. Remember that most answers can be had by RTFM. You can alwys hit the manufactures web site as well. Ensure your BIOS is the latest and greatest as well.
  • DirkGent
  • Born
  • Born
  • DirkGent

Post 3+ Months Ago

So if my FSB is 800 and my ram is 400 ( but reading as 333) I should get faster ram? I don't think there is 800 Ram out yet.

As of today, I've unplugged my DVD burner, and the system SEEMS to be stable. Hasn't crashed on me yet. Ram is still reading at 333 though.

I will try reconnecting the DVD burner and see how things go. Then try and run memtester again.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
  • Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Dakota, United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not 800 RAM, but the settings on your MB should match the speed of your RAM, look to the timings of your MB, it should have a seeting to up it to 400.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dosen't have anything to do with your problem but there is RAM that runs at 800, it is called RAMBUS real exspensive and kinda a pain. Like I said this has nothing to do with your problem and is kinda off the topic.
  • r_balest
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • r_balest

Post 3+ Months Ago

did u just built it, dirkgent?
because last time I discovered automatic reboot on my office, and I was having a bad time checking hardwares and I never found the prob with his hardware.so I checked the O/S setting, (winxp, automatic restart, ring a bell?) I disabled it and it worked without a prob but I just now I had to re-install his O/S...sorry if it didn't help.

Regards,

r_balest

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts