Rebuilding a computer.

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am about to attempt something i havnt done in about 5 years.

Next week i am gonna rebuild this laptop i have been using as certain things like the CD drive are not working, nor is the LAN working properly. At the same time i am going to upgrade my OS to Windows XP.

I have a problem though. As its been so long since i last rebuilt a computer my brain is rusty on the subject. So much so, i have forgotten probably most of what i need to know.

Does anyone know if there is a dummies guide to rebuilding computers? (especially Laptops) or is somebody maybe prepared to list all the important things to remember etc etc.

I thought i would also note that i have never rebuilt a Laptop.

I have not got a clue on what type of laptop this is, mainly because there is no pysical identification on it at all. I can take picture and post it if anyone is interested? The hard drive is a 30GB Fujitsu MHT2030HT. I am not certain the computer is a Fujitsu as it was bought from a company that build computers themselves.

If there is any other information required and i will let you know as soon as i can, if i can.

thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

well first when u open it up take a piece of tape and put it on certain things like plug to slot then make a little manual like Plug B goes into slot B or something like that or if u have some good memmory u could also just rememeber where everything goes

ive never rebuilt a laptop before but it shouldnt be much different from a desktop cept the size

plus take a lookat your mobo manual and it should tell you what each slot is and does so you can probably follow and always rememeber google is your friend just put in whatever model of your laptop is into the search box like.... Dell Xps laptop Rebuild instructions

or something like that

Hope this helps.

The skirge
  • Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Dakota, United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

Physically rebuilding a laptop is usually a moot point. The innards of a laptop are quite complex and different from that of a desktop. Unless you have the exact mobo from the exact laptop, your going to face a larger challenge than you think. Swapping is not an option for laptops.

As for a desktop there are PLENTY of sites with step by step instructions on rebuilding a PC, heck even go to the library and check out one or two books. Having a friend over who knows a little is also helpful.

The biggest thing on any computer rebuild, after backing up your data of course, is to have the correct and up to date drivers. Do you need some good sites to go to? or are you looking for a good book?

Again as for laptops, upgrading the memory and HDD would be about the extent of upgradeability...
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you,

The reason i am rebuilding isnt really to upgrade anything, its just to restart and hopefully fix some problems that have been hanging around. I know i need to do this purely because i was recommended to by my Brother who knows the ins and outs of anything computer. The reason he is unable to do this is because he is working abroad.

I am just keen on learning really where to start (after backing up files). As Laptops have a completely different size to the standard computer i know things are going to be a bit more compact inside this machine. I suppose it would help if i knew the make of this Laptop as i could get a mobbo for it.

I am actually not certain i will go ahead and do this as to be honest, my confidence on doing this job is not that great. And working with no confidence on something is really asking for trouble.

Thank you Skirge and Lefty. I will have a big look on Google some time later on to see if i can find out more about this machine and if there are some info i need to know on Re-building that i might have fogotton.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts