Recommend Switch/Hub

• twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am having the dilemma of choosing a switch/hub. Since I am the main lan guy around here and have a lot of gaming parties i was thinking of getting a 40+ port switch or hub. Even though I don't have many things to hook up I would have the capability to expand as I would like. I was looking around and found one that I am interested it. If possible under $40 US Dollars.

http://www.xiertekusa.com/product.php?pid=307&xcSID=c65c7d03893558b83235ef7f00e06946
I wound that while searching around pricewatch. The thing is i don't know what the difference between a hub and a switch is. If someone could explain to me what the difference between the two is and maybe make some recommendations and some comments on the product above. Thanks in advance.

Ps.Wish me luck at State Finals for marching band. Trumpets rock!

Later
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Switch: A switch is a network device that selects a path or circuit for sending a unit of data to its next destination

Hub: A common connection point for devices in a network. Hubs are commonly used to connect segments of a LAN. A hub contains multiple ports. When a packet arrives at one port, it is copied to the other ports so that all segments of the LAN can see all packets. A passive hub serves simply as a conduit for the data, enabling it to go from one device (or segment) to another

This is according to Google.
  • b22
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • b22
  • Loc: Tanzania

Post 3+ Months Ago

You got a point there. i was using a 16 port hub sometime back and it dint do me very well. i got a switch and hey the connectivity on my network was good. in short the switch is faster than the hub. so go for the switch. i got a dlink switch. pretty good for me.

Good Luck!
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

For Gaming Purposes. Choose the Switch, otherwise with the hub, you'll just be sending more unneeded data across the network to everyone.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

good luck :P
...its the only valid thing i could add
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since I have never heard of that company, I would not go with that. I would choose a popular company like D-Link, Cisco, or Netgear. (I like D-Link)
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cisco is top of the line stuff and you will pay a pretty penny for it.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do not like Cisco, It could not go through 3 walls in a house in the Hamptons. I could take my laptop across my house through 6 walls with a strong reception.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know about their wireless stuff.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av

Post 3+ Months Ago

As a gamer myself, a lot of us have problems with Linksys/Cisco in the longrun.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

netgear is decent, and a linksys will never die..for true. they just come back stronger. recently, a power outage fried the circuit board of a router [solder bead were (for lack of a better work) undone and splaying out on the board. then a couple weeks later, it suddenyl turns back on.]
i love my linksys and netgear. 7 usable lan ports and several hundred wireless adresses availible. [daisy chained them together]
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
a linksys will never die

So true. These things last forever. Although occasionally cause hiccups (sp?) for me. I use linksys routers/hubs as well as D-Link which I think I prefer a bit more to Linksys.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cisco Catalyst 1900 24 port for $34.99

It's 10-BaseT, but that is plenty of bandwidth for games, especially through this caliber of switch. You can play the same games online with no problem on a Cable or DSL connection.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av

Post 3+ Months Ago

Both my netgear router, and laptop card died after one year, at the same time.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts