Reinstall Windows and GRUB Problem

• cheshire057

Post 3+ Months Ago

well here it go's iv had linux on my other computer for awile and i have never had any problems like this befor but i wanted to put windows back on it so i could put some games on it, well when i thro my windows disk in it and rebooted it wouldent boot from the cd, so i tryed a fue coppies of the windows cd and even the fedora cd and my knoppix but nuthin would boot so i switched out a fue cd drives and still nuthin would boot so im lost any one have any tips??
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go into the bios and make sure your CD drive is first on the boot order.
  • cheshire057

Post 3+ Months Ago

ya i did that i even turned everything in the boot off so it would just boot from cd and i also tryed go to the boot menu on start up and telling it to boot from cd
  • cheshire057

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok ok i found out my computer is booting with GRUB now how can i make it so my computer doesent boot with GRUB so i can boot from my windows cd??
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go into your bios & change your setting to look to the CD ROM first, and then to the HD for boot records. As far as I know, GRUB can't stop your computer from booting from CD, only tell it to boot from HD first.
  • cheshire057

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok come on now i tryed all of that iv told it to boot from the cd but it wouldent boot from any cd i tryed, and iv changed cd drives and still wont boot it just searches for a boot record from cd and then go's in to this grub menu, is there any one out there that knows whats up, please help
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

How many CD/DVD drives do you have in your system?
  • cheshire057

Post 3+ Months Ago

only one, iv takin it out and put difrent ones in to see if thares something wrong with the cd drive and theres not cuz even ones i know work wernt working
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I ran into that problem - well sort of. I had a system with two optical drives. Tried to install an operating system on it. Thought the cd was a bad boot image, but I had just built it - and rebuilt it. Still no boot, I try the disks in another system and they work fine. Remove the one drive, still nothing, swap drives - still nothing.

I reflash the BIOS and *boom* worked perfectly.

Try reflashing the bios.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts