Removeable HDD Bays... A little help please

• RSMEDUDE
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi everyone,

I am looking at putting a removable HDD bay into my File Server. I don't know much about these particular devices. I have two that were given to me in a bunch of other equipment from a friend who just didn't want the stuff anymore and thought maybe I could use it down the line. Well here is what I need to know.

1. Does a removable HDD bay work similar to say a thumb drive in the USB or do I have to shut the system down each time I want to put this drive in and take it out.

2. I can't figure out who makes the ones that I have. If I took pictures of them and posted them would someone maybe be able to tell me who makes them and so forth.

3. I will look on Price watch but does anyone know how much these removable HDD enclosures run for. Incase I Might have to go and buy new ones if there is something wrong with the ones I have.

Well I think that that is all I can think of to ask at the moment so I will thank you all ahead of time for any and all help that you can give me on this.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• RSMEDUDE
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just wanted to let you guys know I did find out who makes one of the drive bays I have.

heres the info:

http://www.cru-dataport.com

I can't figure out though exactly which model I am looking at here in my hands.

oh well like I said thanx for any help that anyone can give.
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whether your HDD-Bay is hot-pluggable (as in no need to restart) depends on what your using. SATA drives support it and so does SCSI (I believe). Normal PATA IDE drives do not support hot-plugging and require you to restart.

Also if your HDD-Bay doesn't require a restart it should say something like Hot-Swappable.

Hope this helps.
  • RSMEDUDE
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanx for the heads up I found out that the bays that I have seam to be SCSI, which makes it somewhat, cost inhibitive for me to do this. This leaves me with the option of Contacting and or reading on MFG sites as to if they produce a "hot swap" bay.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts