Repairing an LCD monitor: Is it worth the effort?

• Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,
It's been a while since I've frequented these forums (which I need to change), so thanks in advance for any advice or opinion on the following issue:

I have a broken(dead) Optiquest Q20wb LCD monitor that stopped working a couple of months ago for some reason unknown to me. It was making a high pitched noise for a few weeks before it ceased to function and it seemed to longer power up. I knew it wasn't my video card because I am currently using a 23" Dell LCD monitor. I was about to take it in for electronic recycling when I thought maybe I could purchase spare parts and take it apart to fix it, except I have no idea how to do that. I have never repaired a monitor but am quite proficient with computer hardware.

My question is, should I take the time and effort to dismantle it and diagnose the dead hardware so I could possibly purchase replacement parts? Or should I just get rid of it and purchase another monitor to use in a dual setup?

I did do a little research in replacement LCD parts but found it difficult to get any real good specifics for this particular model.

Again, any advice is appreciated. Especially if you have done this kind of thing before.

Thanks!
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

How much is your time worth? If you have nothing better to do and you think you may be able to fix it you might as well give it a shot for the hell of it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts