Replacing Hardrive with Bad Blocks

• pucci
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Brooklyn, New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a hard drive crash which I fixed and later after running Windows diags discovered I have 5 bad blocks/clusters and S.M.A.R.T. test results that says "back up data immediately". I guess it's time to chuck out the drive and get a new one. My question is that with the bad blocks, will I have a problem copying the old drive to a new one? If I do, does anyone recommend how I should proceed?

All respones are welcomed.

Thanks,
Frank
:?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

If there is data stored on the bad blocks more than likely you will not get that data back. Is this hard drive the only hard drive in your PC? Your best bet is try to back up what you can to CD or DVD and then reload it onto the new hard drive.
  • pucci
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Brooklyn, New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the fast reply. I discovered the problem because in using Ntbackup to a second USB Hard Drive it kept failing. The problem is the last good backup I have is about two month old and I'd like to get a more recent copy, if possible. My concern is that if I format a new drive and do a drive copy it will crash when it gets to the bad blocks. I'm not overally concerned with the data in the bad blocks since the system seems to be working fine and I can recover individual bad apps from the backup. Do you know if the bad blocks will crash the transfer when I do the drive copy?

Regards,
Frank
:)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts