Replacing laptop HD

• lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am getting my HD replaced under warranty and wanted anyones advise on what is the best way to transfer data from my old HD to my new one. Below are some options I am aware of.

1) Copy all personal data to an external HD (which I have) then move it back on to the new one once it is installed. (cheapest?)

2) Use a USB disk bay

3) Purchase a laptop HD converter

What is the best option and are there more?

ALSO

How about all my software - should I simply re-install each one on my new HD or would one of options 2) or 3) above copy all software too?

Any advise would be appreciated!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Depending on the amount of personal data you have you could either use an external hard-drive to copy the data over or take out your hard-drive and put it into its own external enclosure and copy the data right from the source. I would honestly do #1 in any case right away. Just in case the hard-drive goes all-dead on you.

Second, for your programs you will have to a.) reinstall them or b.) Ghost the bad HDD and image the new HDD with the old HDD's Ghost image.

B.) would get you back up to where you last left off the quickest, however I would still backup your personal data to an external HDD or DVD, Tape, Internet Datastore, etc first.
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

i once used a partition copy feature of a program downloadable from seagate website (the software was suggested by GT500shlby himself. it worked seamlessly. i was indebted to him). it all copied the whole data from my old hdd to the new one using HD usb enclosure.
  • champi0n
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe use linux?

i clone my server hard drives for backup or to replace them when they're starting to fail.

http://forums.xi6.org/viewtopic.php?t=6

hope it helps
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well thank you for the replies everyone. It turned out that my new HD was not covered by my warranty (I only had phone support and virus support) but I went ahead and replaced the HD myself.

I upgraded to a Western Digital 80G/5400rpm (I previously had a 60G/4200rpm that came with my laptop) and am back online posting here so it went well!

My previous HD was giving me serious problems. Just yesterday I got the blue screen of death 3 times resulting in 3 crashes within an hour and a half! Luckily I backup my personal data regularly so had no worries about that.

The replacing of the HD was really easy. I must admit I was a bit nervous before it all, but I downloaded my laptop manual at work yesterday and followed the instructions and it was a breeze. I then installed XP, my drivers, software, personal virus/firewall etc etc.. and my laptop is flying!

I did look at getting it done professionally but $129 to install an OS and $39 for installing the HD (plus taxes) made me look into doing it myself. I highly recommend it. It is money down the drain if you get this done "professionally" :D ha ha

Of course my laptop is blazing fast right now, so I am well chuffed! Boot up is effortless, where before it was painfully slow! Anyway thanks for the advice everyone.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've gotten big on the whole laptop hacking. I look forward to hacking up laptops.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I take it by 'hacking' you mean re-building?

I have to say it was fun, and fulfilling.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, it is fun. I was at that stage when I was in HS and then fun eventually gets 7 black SUV's screeching up to your house. Oh well, it happens. :-D
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
Yeah, it is fun. I was at that stage when I was in HS and then fun eventually gets 7 black SUV's screeching up to your house. Oh well, it happens. :-D

I will LOL to that :)
  • Aegil
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Aegil

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
I've gotten big on the whole laptop hacking. I look forward to hacking up laptops.

Yeah I tried it too, mainly after my laptop broke a few times and I had to replace it myself. Well £199 just for the company to look at it was a bit much, when the part cost me £2.00 and the tools about £15. so not bad really compared to there price.

Its terrifying first time you do it, and i was doing it without no manual or experience but once you get into it its fun and im i'moking to more laptop hacking just like you, only prob I found is a lot of the companies don't seem to give there service manuals out and let you fix your own. well Medion anyway

And ulstermonkey, you notice a significant speed upgrade after you did it? I been meaning to upgrade mine but never got round to it.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Aegil wrote:
And ulstermonkey, you notice a significant speed upgrade after you did it? I been meaning to upgrade mine but never got round to it.

Hi Aegil - I most definitely did. It's like I have a new machine, I love it.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just got a IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad T60. I'm trying to use it out of the box, even with the IBM preload.

I am trying to be like a normal person using a brand new laptop, power it on and go.

Let me tell you, it SUCKS! It comes loaded with all this crap and useless software, its misconfigured and a whole slew of other pet peeves that I have.

So tomorrow I will replace the 1GB of memory for 2GB of memory. I don't have a 7200rpm sata150 2.5" hdd laying around. I am still weary of that "non-ibm" hdd issue. I guess that nobody can give me an answer and I'll just have to do it myself.

Oh well, its tuff being an euber-geek.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
I just got a IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad T60. I'm trying to use it out of the box, even with the IBM preload.

I am trying to be like a normal person using a brand new laptop, power it on and go.

Let me tell you, it SUCKS! It comes loaded with all this crap and useless software, its misconfigured and a whole slew of other pet peeves that I have.

So tomorrow I will replace the 1GB of memory for 2GB of memory. I don't have a 7200rpm sata150 2.5" hdd laying around. I am still weary of that "non-ibm" hdd issue. I guess that nobody can give me an answer and I'll just have to do it myself.

Oh well, its tuff being an euber-geek.

My wife got a Lenovo T60 recently, she's not psyched about the performance either. If you have any recommendations as to removal of this useless software I'd appreciate hearing about it :D

p.s. what are you doing to need 2Gb? :shock:
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

ulstermonkey wrote:
My wife got a Lenovo T60 recently, she's not psyched about the performance either. If you have any recommendations as to removal of this useless software I'd appreciate hearing about it :D

Honestly - I just reloaded windows and now I am hunting down drivers to get it working 100% again. Which is a PITA because Lenovo's site is junk. Why can't they just make a single package that takes your system config and grabs all the latest drivers in a snap?

Quote:
p.s. what are you doing to need 2Gb? :shock:

It's not a matter of what I am doing, but what I can do with 2GB.

\EDIT: I figured something out. I am separating this into its own topic. Here

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts