Request for sticky: The best hardware resources

• bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wait wait wait, don't all yell at me at once. Google is great, Google is wonderful, Google is omniscient. But y'know, Google search results have become somewhat overwhelming, and I find myself going to the same few sites I've visited for years to find the info I want, only to find that frequently the information available is either irrelevant or obsolete. With new hardware coming out all the time, I'm not terribly interested in a two-year-old review.

For example, I'd really like a couple of dependable sites that review PC cases. I'm far more interested in an attractive, functional, easy-to-dismantle, roomy chassis than I am in something that's uber-moddable. I don't care about thermal/water cooling or a side window or pretty lights. They're nice, but I haven't the time or energy to bother. Most of the sites I've found (so far) are pretty well dedicated to the modding scene. I'm off to do a Google search in a minute (of course), but which are the sites on which you rely when making your hardware decisions?

Another example: I Googled for headset (gaming Skype usb etc) reviews and was so frustrated after several clicks (omg epinions was so useless) that I ended up making my decision by searching retailers (Amazon, Newegg) and reading the reviews there.

So. We're quite familiar with anandtech, tomshardware, and maybe a handful of others. But sometimes the general hardware sites aren't the best places to go for specific information. Might we start a sticky on a collection of handy resources that serve a niche market and overcome the shortcomings of more generic sites?

Thanks,
.g
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 1 post