Resolved: ATI Radeon 9550 clean up

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

My old PC has a ATI Radeon 9550 and upon taking apart my PC (to make space for my upgrade), I saw that the fan on my Radeon has stopped, it seems like the fan's axis around which it spins, is bent, and it got stuck to the metal-type casing around it ... now I don't know how long this has been stuck, but it still works. And I want to give it to my little brother, so I would like to know if any of you know of a site/manual which explains how to safely take apart that part of the card and clean it up and bend the axis back so it will work again, or should I just wing it ... ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would never try to bend a metal shaft back into place. It's almost impossible to get it straight. Not only that, if it bent because of a bad bearing, which is probably the cause, you'll be wasting your time.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I wouldn't try to fix it because it could be a worse underlying cause. But if it's still working and doesn't put off too much heat, I would say there's not to o much to worry about.

I think you would be risking the card more if you took it apart and tried to fix it, instead of just leaving it a bit hotter.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
I would never try to bend a metal shaft back into place. It's almost impossible to get it straight. Not only that, if it bent because of a bad bearing, which is probably the cause, you'll be wasting your time.

Merlyn wrote:
Yeah, I wouldn't try to fix it because it could be a worse underlying cause. But if it's still working and doesn't put off too much heat, I would say there's not to o much to worry about.

I think you would be risking the card more if you took it apart and tried to fix it, instead of just leaving it a bit hotter.

Yeah it still runs pretty smooth ... I'll just go buy one of those fans that fit into a PCI slot (doesn't actually plug into the PCI, it's just kept stable by it) ... because I bought myself a 8500GT yesterday, so I'll give the Radeon and the fan to my brother ... Thanks for your help ... Marked as resolved

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts