Retrieving DATA from a Slave Hard Drive

• ibelli
  • Born
  • Born
  • ibelli

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently junked an old computer, but removed the hard drives before I trashed it. There were two drives, one master and one slave. Interestingly enough, I am not all that concerned about the Data on the Master drive which may be damaged anyway. However, I am very interested in getting the 3 or 4GB of data off the Slave. Can I install the drive as a slave on another system without formatting it? What is the best way to retrive the data on the slave drive?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do what you just said. Install it as a slave. Should work like a charm. You don't have to format it to install it. Just plug it in. BIOS should recognize it and assign it as D: drive.
  • ibelli
  • Born
  • Born
  • ibelli

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried that. Windows XP recognizes the drive, but does not assign it a drive letter in the My Computer window. It even shows up in the Device Manager. However, I neglected to mention that the slave drive is formatted for Windows 2000. Could that cause the problem?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

nah, win2k and winxp are pretty much twins. but the kind that aren't identical twins.. i would suggest downloading either a free trial of partition magic or acronis disk director, if such a thing exists, or another partition editor from http://www.thefreecountry.org and seeing what that program tells you the partition type is. i wouldn't DO anything to it, but find out what they classify the partition type as. but if xp's not detecting it like you say it sounds like the drive may be damaged.. and if so, i know acronis disk director has a "recover partition" utility with their program which may or may not work in this condition.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try this:

Right click My Computer
Select Manage
Click on Disk Management
Right click the drive without a drive leter
Select Change Drive Letter and Path
Assign it a drive letter
  • AnarchY SI