RMA DOA?

• seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just installed a WD800JD 80GB SATA harddrive that was sent as an RMA for one that I sent in because it failed to initialize. However, this one appears to be totally dead, it doesn't appear in the BIOS or in Windows. I imagine that I should simply RMA it again, but I want to be certain that I'm not overlooking anything. I recall a similar problem with my 40GB WDC PATA harddrive, but when I took it back to the store, they said that the problem was because it had to be formatted first. I didn't quite understand that, but after they formatted it, it worked. I never had that problem with the first two SATA drives, but I shall ask regardless?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's always possible that something can be DOA from the factory but if you have 2 in a row, I would check a few other things.

Set the BIOS to auto detect. Make sure that the cables are in the right position. Make sure that the jumpers are set correctly.
  • seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, the first two drives worked for a while before dying, but this last drive never worked at all. I have checked connections, the BIOS is set, and SATA harddrives do not use jumpers.

Curiously, I have noted that the SATA optical drive that connects with it on the same controller, also disappeared from both the BIOS and Windows until I disconnected the dead drives. Now, the optical drive appears in the BIOS, but not in Windows.

I'm wondering if there might be some kind of incompatibility issue involved? However, even with the optical drive disconnected, the harddrive still doesn't work.
  • seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Curiouser and curiouser, I Googled and found a customer review on one vendor's website, that said if this harddrive was to be used as a standalone, not to plug it into the motherboard's SATA connectors. That is strange indeed, because there is no where else to connect it. However, this caused me to think about the BIOS settings more, and I disconnected the harddrive entirely, and tried all three settings for the SATA controller...disabled/SATA/raid. In either of the first two positions, the optical drive had disappeared. Only in the raid position was it visible in the BIOS, but now Windows can no longer see it. So the deeper I dig, the darker it gets. Anyone have a candle?
  • seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wrong! It is there, I'm just blind. It had changed letters and wasn't where I expected it.

This leave the question that if the harddrive has to have raid disabled on the controller to work, and the optical drive has to have it enabled, how do you make both of them work at the same time? Don't say add a controller card, because I already have, and I have a pair of Maxtor SATAs on it.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

MSI Neo 2-F Is that the mother board you are using? If so, you mentioned a possible incompatibility. Could it be between the BIOS and all that hardware.

http://www.msicomputer.com/support/TechSupport.asp

There are updates for that board at that site.

It's just a thought. I don't know where else to look.
  • seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only update for my motherboard is the BIOS, but the only thing that it says is that it updates the CPU ID. Since the one that I have seems to work okay with my CPU, I'm not anxious to update it. You know the saying about if it works, don't fix it?

I know that the first two harddrives that failed were installed on my controller card, instead of the motherboard, and someone told me that it was because the card was raid, and that I needed a nonraid card. That is why I moved my Maxtors to the card, and the WDC drive and optical drive to the motherboard slots. But, if I can't turn off the raid and have the optical drive work, I can't see that it makes any difference.

EDIT: BTW, the first harddrive failure was on my Asus A8V motherboard, and I think that the second failure may have been also, but I have been doing so much juggling around lately, I'm not positive. It may have to do with the VIA chipset, because both motherboards use the same one. Even the controller card uses a very similar chipset.
  • seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Being a bit stubborn, and not like quitting, I just plugged this drive into my controller card, instead of the motherboard slot, and it appearred. Therefore, I now have my Maxtor SATAs split with one on the controller and one on the motherboard.

When I booted up, the WDC drive appeared in the Device Manager, but nowhere else. So I went to Disk Management and it presented a wizard to convert it, which I had to do before I could even access any of the Disk Management functions. There I found the new drive...unallocated, as expected, but when I right clicked on it, instead of the usual options, it had only one, which opened another wizard to format it. This wouldn't be so bad, but it only allowed me to set it up as a simple drive without partitions, and instead of the basic type, like the other drives, it only offered to set it as a dynamic drive. I'm not too sure exactly what that means yet, but that is not why I'm posting. Why would this drive work on the controller and not on the motherboard slot? Obviously, the motherboard slot works, because the Maxtor has no problem on it. Since I want the Maxtors paired for a possible raid setup, this will mean having to put both Maxtors on the motherboard, and moving the SATA optical drive to the controller with the WDC. That wouldn't be a problem either, except that I'm concerned that this configuration will cause the WDC to fail again, since I cannot disable the raid configuration of the controller card.

This raises another question, the BIOS chip on the controller card (6421) is very similar to that of the motherboards chipset (8237/6420). I have never attempted to use the raid functions of the controller card, but if I did, would it use the same driver as the motherboard, or would I need to install the driver that came with the controller card? I'm concerned about a conflict between them?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts