CD-ROM And DVD-RW Drive Problem (Wiring)

• rafchris1993
  • rafchris1993

Post 3+ Months Ago

The other day my disk drives were seeming to play up, i checked all wires and everything, made sure they were in the correct slots, i found a loose connector going from my floppy drive, it's plugged in to the motherboard and and floppy drive though, what would this wire be for?

Anyway i turned my computer back on and went into my computer and it couldn't find CD-ROM Drive, it only appears to have DVD-RW Drive, were could this of gone??

And the last thing is when my disk drives were working i had a weird icon on to the left of the words, the icon looked like a small page and in the middle was a blue box.

I hope someone can help me, thankyou for looking this up :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

One wire should be going to the motherboard, the otherwire should be going to the power supply (psu) so that it has power to run.
  • rafchris1993
  • rafchris1993

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have 2 wires 1 is meant to be the master and the other the slave, i have the power supplies in correctly (the drives open) but when i look in the my computer file i can only find cd-rw.

Chris.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm, are you sure you didn't change any of the configuration inside of your computer? The reason I ask is because if you did you need to make sure you set your primary and slaves correctly. Usually there are jumpers on the backside of the drives to select the appropriate. On one IDE interface you can have one primary and one slave.

If that is not the problem, the only other thing I can think of is that there is something wrong with the device. Is it possible to try that CD-ROM in another computer to see if it works correctly there?
  • rafchris1993
  • rafchris1993

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did swap around the wires to see if it worked, i dont have any jumpers, i have both the wires connecting to the disk drives themselves and i have both the power supplies connected correctly.

Thankyou for helping,

Chris.
  • rafchris1993
  • rafchris1993

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have got a different data cable which has master and slave written on it :) i have changed the dvd drive's path letter to 'D', i now have no icon to the left of it, as i said only the white page with a small blue box icon is now showing, shouldn't it shows like other drives?
When i also insert a game disk into the dvd drive it is not recognised at all, what do i do?

Thanks,

Chris.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts