CD-rom failure

• hollaback04
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • hollaback04

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok heres my problem every time i restart or turn on my pc, during the loading process it says reading CD-rom failure... why is this happen or does this effect my pc or a way to fix this?i got this problem ever since i install xp
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is your CD-Rom dead perhaps? :)

Can you read from it once windows has completed booting up? Have you attempted to test the CD-Rom drive in another PC? Or replaced this CD-Rom drive in another to test this PC?
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uhm...try Technical Support. If this happened when you first installed XP, it might also be some random error because the computer can't support it for some reason or something malfunctioned during installation. It shouldn't do that though...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Possible reasons:

1. CD Rom is dead - solution: replace CD Rom (this may not be the case if you can access the CD Rom after XP loads.)
2. IDE cable is loose or bad - solution: disconnect and reattach the cable, or replace cable.
3. Power connection is loose - try unplugging and reconnecting the power cable.
4. Incorrect drivers were installed during the XP installation -- most likely the case. Try reinstalling the CD Rom drivers. The easiest way is go to device manager and delete the CD Rom device. Then go to Control panel and select add/remove hardware and run it. It should redetect it and install the correct drivers. If not, delete it and reboot and let Windows detect it after reboot.

Number 4 is probably your best option.
  • hollaback04
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • hollaback04

Post 3+ Months Ago

thx
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

also to tag along ATNO's post check the jumper seting on the CD-rom and the position on the IDE cable. Also the type of IDE cable could be giving you problems if it is a 40wire or 80 wire cable. Just some thoughts, Enjoy :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts