CD Rom will not read

• TDP1954x
  • TDP1954x

Post 3+ Months Ago

Windows XP knows the CD Rom is present (shows on windows explorer), but when I put in a cd, xp says 'insert cd'. I just installed a new 80 gig harddrive as master, installed xp on that after creating 2 40 gig parts. Old hardrive is slave. All drive are recognized, cr rom will not read. Also have a cr writer that works ok
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can we assume the CD devices existed before and were working fine prior to installing the new drive? Are the hardrives on the same IDE chain as are the CD devices on the secondary? Can you give us any more info on what was happening when installing the new hard drive. Were there any errors? Both hard drives work? Checked the jumpers for master and slave? etc..
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My primary guess here is that the drivers for the old CD existed on the old drive. When you switched to the new drive you didn't install the proper drivers for the CD that it is not reading. My suggestion would be go to the CD manufacturer's website and download and install current drivers for the CD that is not working. (Especially if you are using SP2. There may be updated drivers available.)
  • TDP1954x
  • TDP1954x

Post 3+ Months Ago

I took the cd drive out, cleaned the lense, reinstalled and it worked.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts