Router Firewall Issue

• PsychoPigeon
  • PsychoPigeon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a DG834G v2 NetGear Wireless Router and this is basicly what's happened;

A few days ago all my games and most of my applications that require connectivity to the net stopped working. At first I thought this was due to line work so I contacted my ISP and they said everything was alright their end. I found it weird that it would be a firewall problem seeing as I hadn't touched the firewall settings inside my router. I went into my settings and everything was as it was before.. nothing changed. I went into the firewall section and put ' allow allways ' on the Inbound firewall so that should sort any firewall trouble which is what seems to be happening. No luck. Here's a list of what I've done:

Rebooted my router.
Upgraded to the latest firmware.
Formated my hard drive.
Turned off the only software firewall I have which is Windows firewall.
Done Adware and Virus scans.

Symptoms:

Games hardly work if not at all.
Programs such as Steam and Xfire barely work if they do they are very slow and often disconnect 5 minutes after being connected.
MSN Messenger works fine though and so do websites.

This is a very weird problem. It acts asif there's a firewall on and it's slowing down my connection heavily but yet it still let's some programs work. If it was a firewall wouldn't it not let me download at all?.
Any help appricated! Apologise if this is the wrong forum.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did Windows Firewall get turned on by accident?
  • PsychoPigeon
  • PsychoPigeon

Post 3+ Months Ago

No I double check that, if it did it wouldn't cause what it is happening now. Something strange happened earlier though when I unticked the settings to "allow always" on my pc(in the router settings) and it used the default one which is default on "block always" everything worked fine for a few minutes but then it just died and went back to how it was. Very weird but it shows that it's a router setting.
  • rickatnight11
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Richmond, VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

First try connecting your computer to the internet directly without the firewall and see if the same thing is occuring.
  • PsychoPigeon
  • PsychoPigeon

Post 3+ Months Ago

rickatnight11 wrote:
First try connecting your computer to the internet directly without the firewall and see if the same thing is occuring.

How do you do that? you would need a usb adsl modem? I just took the pc downstairs and there's no slot for the cable to go into from the phone line. It all has to go through the router.
  • rickatnight11
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Take the ethernet cord that goes from the modem to the router, unplug from the router and plug it into your machine...unless the modem is the same device as the router. Is it all one device?
  • PsychoPigeon
  • PsychoPigeon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes the router acts as the modem aswell. I just opened some ports which games require etc and they seem to be working ... better not great but playable. Which is a big improvement. But whatever it is it's cutting down my bandwidth when programs need it even with the ports opened. For example today I wanted to pre-load Red Orchestra through Steam and it's going at 3.0kbps when I know it can go faster than that so it's making the program struggle.
  • rickatnight11
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

It still sounds like a problem with your ISP. Do you have another machine you can test? Try doing an internet speed test at http://www.toast.net on more than one computer and see if there's a change. Then play a game on two computers.
  • PsychoPigeon
  • PsychoPigeon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm I did the speed test and it's fine. Like I said before the internet and email etc works fine I can download demos at full speed. I'll try playing games on the other pc etc. Something that's also weird is that my download speed on steam and other programs seems to dwindle aorund 6-8 kbps.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you using dynamic addressing through your router/firewall, or do you assign static ips?

I ask this because when you port forward with a wireless router, if you're using dynamic addressing, and there's other computers on your network, then sometimes the ip that you are assigning to forward ports to could change for your computer.
  • rickatnight11
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

In your Steam preferences, check your internet speed option. I've heard that turning it down directly affects bandwidth at least for game updates.
  • PsychoPigeon
  • PsychoPigeon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Are you using dynamic addressing through your router/firewall, or do you assign static ips?

I ask this because when you port forward with a wireless router, if you're using dynamic addressing, and there's other computers on your network, then sometimes the ip that you are assigning to forward ports to could change for your computer.

I'm using dynamic addressing( Get Dynamically From ISP ) I was told to change this(by another forum) and when I did I had trouble getting online again so I had to reboot the router. As far as I can see my IP is the same since i've started port forwarding.

Quote:
In your Steam preferences, check your internet speed option. I've heard that turning it down directly affects bandwidth at least for game updates.

Didn't work but thanks anyway!
  • rickatnight11
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

What kind of wireless card are you using to connect to the router, and how good of a signal are you getting? To eliminate the possibility of a crappy wireless card, disable it, and connect your machine directly to the router via an ethernet cable.
  • PsychoPigeon
  • PsychoPigeon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea I did that when I tried to connect up the pc straight into the broadband not realising what you said before you thought I had a modem aswell and it was still the same. I have a netgear 32-bit PCI WG311v2 wireless card.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you check for adware/spyware/malware that might be utilizing the same resources or ports that your games are using?
  • rickatnight11
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

If everything you say is correct, then this certainly sounds like a hardware bug. You may want to give your computer an old fashioned harddrive scrubbing with the normal adware/spyware/virus scans.
  • PsychoPigeon
  • PsychoPigeon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep checked all that straight away incase that was the case. One thing I havn't done is adware/virus scan the other PC, could that affect my (wireless) pc's performance?. Yes it's very weird all my downloads download around 5kbps something is limiting them ffs even when I download off of sites I normally download from I get around 20kbps.
  • PsychoPigeon
  • PsychoPigeon

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is what I get in Azureus;
see image
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

In this instance, DHT requires both TCP and UDP to be forwarded for the port you are using for Azureus. If you are using the default 6881 you will run into problems as ISP's may be blocking that port.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Adding on to what Grinch said. Just switch the port range, and then make sure both UDP and TCP are being forwarded.
  • PsychoPigeon
  • PsychoPigeon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm ok i'll try that. Something weird just happened. After doing nothing suddenly I was downloading at 111kbps and it was all going normal but this has happened twice before but not as high as 111kbps and it just goes down to 4kbps, getting my hopes up.

Nevermind guys i'm going to change ISP. The people i'm with have put me on a 'heavy list' due to downloading too much aka costing them more money because they are cheap as. I have a feeling that's causing some of the disruptance if not all(although they had put me on the heavy list before this started happening it could be it's just come into effect). I'm hopeing that is what's causing this anyway.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

To me it only makes sense. If all was working fine and you are a heavy downloader and all of a sudden nothing works, it sounds to me like your ISP is to blame. Now it is possible the router/modem died but very unlikely.
  • PsychoPigeon
  • PsychoPigeon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks alot for the help guys very appricated.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 23 posts