Router problem - Connected and online but can access nothing

• cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
My daughter has just got broadband and I have installed a router, supplied by her ISP, for three PCs in her flat to use. At the moment it is just linked up to one PC. She uses Win XP. The PC was recently reformatted, no other modem/router has been connected since then so nothing 'left over' and no viruses on PC.

The PC seems to be configured correctly, I have gone through everything with the helpline folk and there is a connction but nothing can be accessed.

When trying to access a web page, use a chat messenger or use a download app.... nothing!

The correct 'preferred' and 'alternate' DNS entries have been put in (rather than just being set to find it automatically, as that didn't work), the default gateway has been put in, all as given by the ISP helpline, and it is set to obtain an IP address automatically.

When pinged, the router responds (it's a Binatone 2100 ADSL router).

It doesn't seem to be resolving DNS names (not sure if I'm using the correct terminology here, so bear with me) or it's trying to access a non-existant gateway or something.

The router has a reset thing on it, so I have reset it to the factory default, in case it had been used before, but that didn't help either.

I had to give up after 9 hours of struggling to get it to work. It's so frustrating knowing it is connected and online but nothing can be accessed.

Can anyone offer any suggestions. I am now at a complete loss and the helpline can offer no more suggestions, having checked everything with me and been reassured the PC is configured correctly.

HELP!
:(
Ceri
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well lets start with the simple stuff.

1. Is the cable/DSL modem connected to the WAN port of the router and not a LAN port?

2. Is the cable between the modem and the router a straight through cable and not a crossover?

3. Does your service provider require a login that must be setup in the router?

4. Can you access the internet by plugging the modem directly into a computer?

5. Can you access the router's configuration page and verify it has an IP from your ISP?
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I had a similar problem. The only solution that worked for me is installing a fresh copy of WinXP.
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi
Thanks for replies.

Lucassix...
the answer is 'yes' to all of your queries (btw it's a router with a built in modem, not separate modem).

Ceri
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you verified it is a DNS issue? Try to go to Google ( http://64.233.167.104 ) or Yahoo ( http://68.142.226.37 ) without using DNS.
  • Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Dakota, United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

I noticed you were using an ASDL router...are you using ppOE or ppOA for your connection?
  • Jazzy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Jazzy
  • Loc: Brussels

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you checked that DHCP is enabled on your router ? perhaps the router receive an IP from the ISP but your doughter's pc doesn't reive one from the router. perhaps thats why she can't acces the net

my 2 cent
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

cerio wrote:
When pinged, the router responds (it's a Binatone 2100 ADSL router).

The computer has to have an IP to be able to ping the router, so I don't think that is the problem.
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
the ISP's dhcp is ok, the router's dhcp is ok too; the pc's IP is ok too.

I can't do anything for about a week, now.
My daughter lives 20 odd miles from me so I go back and forth to deal with it, no checking from here, but she's gone away for a week, so can't get back to it until she returns.

I'll get back to you.

Ceri
  • Jazzy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Jazzy

Post 3+ Months Ago

She can let you the keys of the house to work on the modem no ? ;p
Your's the father after all ehehe ;o
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Too late, she's left and the keys have gone with her. I have to study for tests at uni next week anyway, so it wasn't too convenient to go and spend another 9 hours battling with her connection anytime in the next week anyway.

Not looking forward to my next visit and beating my head off the wall again, trying to find out the problem.

Btw... I'm her mother! ;-)

Ceri
  • Jazzy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Jazzy

Post 3+ Months Ago

cerio wrote:
Btw... I'm her mother! ;-)

Oups 8)
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

i keep saying we should have a coloum for sex in the profile.... everyone always gets it mixed up with peoples unisex avatars.
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi.
Finally my daughter can get online!

After many hours on the phone to the ISP helpline and to friends, the ISP helpline guy asked me to log into the ISP connection using a BT login and password, immediately followed by logging in with a sort of combined BT/ISP one, with its own password, immediately followed by logging in with my daughter's own username and password. As soon as I'd done this, it worked, the internet could be accessed at last.
The explanation given was that doing that had reactivated the BT broadband connection.
It's a pity it took so many hours/days to find out it was as easy as that to solve but at least it's working now. I was really despairing as I'd done and tested absolutely everything and no-one seemed to have any idea how to solve the problem.

Phew!

Ceri
  • Jazzy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Jazzy

Post 3+ Months Ago

glad you found the solution :)
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you.

She's had the same problem since but I just got her to do the triple login again and it started working again. She shouldn't have to keep doing that, so, next time I visit her, if it's happened again, I'll phone the ISP to report it and see if they can stop it happening.

In the meantime, at least she can now get online, even if a bit of a faff to do so at times.

Ceri

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts