Router Problems?

• ThetaChi
  • Born
  • Born
  • ThetaChi
  • Loc: Illinois

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I am not terribly tech-savvy, but I know a thing or two.

I live in a fraternity house with two DSL lines running through a Linksys router, which in turn displaces the connection through two "switch?" things into about 40 lines. Up until now, the internet has worked fine, but recently there have been problems.

Roughly 3-4 times per hour, the internet will cut out for about 5 minutes, and then it will start working again. We have figured out that the IP address will become 0, and then the IP address will reappear. I phoned up SBC and they determined that the incoming connection is fine, so it must be something with our hardware. We have tried resetting the modems and the router, but neither seemed to work. We also moved every piece of hardware in the internet closet a foot away from each other, to minimize interference from any electromagnetic field, and that didn't work either.

Can anybody help me with this problem?

Thanks,

-ThetaChi
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kinnerdesign
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm not sure if its the right thing but maybe you need to make your IP Static, I had this problem in my home, we have 3computers and a laptop all connected wireless to our router and the internet would go off sometimes when more than one machine would be online, this was caused by the having the same IP causing problems, I fixed this by using:

http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

they have a very good tutorial and easy to follow, I am not sure if this is what your problem would be but it may help non the less, like I say it fixed it for me.

Regards

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts