Router question

• EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Under Your Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have DSL on one of my computers and i just built another computer. If i get a "router" and connect it to my new computer, will i be able to surf the web and not pay extra?

I really dont know what a router is. :?

DSL: SBC yahoo.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, you'll have to pay extra to buy your router, and another network cable or two, but yeah, that's what routers do :)
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

How much are routers? And what cables do i need to buy?
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Router costs Vary some can be as cheap as 20 to 30 bucks but some can be expensive from 100 to 200+ right now i am using a netgear wireless router cost about 30 bucks and its fine

most people usually get Linksys because they have quality products... go to newegg or your local best buy , comp usa and ask about them

but basically

things that come with the router:
Power cord
short cat 5 cable
manual

so to hook it up there are 5 slots on a router 1 will have a bigger gap from the rest and thats where u need to hook a cat 5 or 6 cable to your modem to the router

then you need to buy 2 or more depending on how many computers you have Cat 5 or cat 6 cables and the cost of them can vary for the length you need... ive found around 50 feet at radioshack costs 30 dollars

i hope this helps... if u have any other questions just keep posting

Skirge
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow, 50ft for 30 bucks? I pay $11.99 for a 50 footer at my local PC store (avoid the big chains, they REALLY rip you off on cat5/Cat5e cables. Try eBay).
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Skirge wrote:
right now i am using a netgear wireless router cost about 30 bucks and its fine

wow i did'nt know they had wireless routers for 30 buck-a-roos :shock: i saw a wireless router for 200 bucks on price watch. Anyway my DSL comp is in a room thats like 72 feet away from my new comp. will a Wireless Router work that far and still connect at 756 Kb/s? Will it work thru 3feet thick walls To? :?:
If yes, could you give me the link to your Router so I can buy it?
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

How many walls are in between where the router will be and where the computer you want to connect is? How many fluorescent lights, large appliances, electrical wiring, air ducts...

There's more factors than just distance. Go with linksys, they tend to have the most reliability. I believe they even sell started kits now with a router and two PCI cards to get started.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are 3 walls. The first two walls are 1 foot or lees thick with basic wiring (Phone Line, Cable, Power. etc.) But the last wall that leads to my garage is three feet thick with the same type of wiring. im just gunna go with this router here: http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/tech ... pc=froogle
If my 900MHz range phone worked out there, then this 2.4 GHz range should to. :lol:
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had that same router, and it has some nice distance to it. The router was in my closet in the back of my apartment and I could still connect out in front of the building, in the parking lot, in my truck@
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

That means im gunna get it Thx guys!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts