Router redirects to localhost Apache server on FireFox.

• PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have an Apache server I use for testing on my PC with a virtual host for 127.0.0.1:80 (localhost) and another for *:80 (public). For some reason sometimes when I'm just browsing the web with FireFox, and go to certain websites, for example "webloyalty.com" (don't ask me how I got there, it's some sort of scam website so I hear)... Then I'll see my exact localhost page printed out on my screen.

Does anybody know what that could possibly be? Did the website do some sort of trickery or is it some sort of block list on my router? It's happened to me on at least 3 or 4 random websites.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

You really can't test the 'public' web site properly since there is no name resolution taking place. Did you edit the hosts file?

As far the redirects go, download, update & run anti malware from malwarebytes.org
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you the one who had strange lines in their Apache log files that looked like requests for advertisement banners recently ? :scratchhead:

My first guess is that you've got an antivirus/firewall/hosts-file-entry/etc looping back trouble addresses, which normally wouldn't be something you notice happening because there's nothing setup to respond to requests on that address, but in this case since you're running Apache there, you notice it.
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay I figured it out. I used to have "Spybot S&D" installed and it entered that among 10,000 other addresses into my host file.

Thanks to the both of you.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts