Routing Internet Through Computer Help

• langusmon
  • Born
  • Born
  • langusmon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I live on campus at my college. The campus computing policy is retarded because they block ALL ports unless there is a reason for it to be open that is academically related, so pretty much all gaming ports are closed. I have a VPN account from another school, and when i use the VPN i can get full access to the internet without the campuses firewalls. What im trying to do is plug the internet into my computer, run the VPN, run a cord out of my computer into a router, so that i can plug xbox, playstation, etc. into the router and gain access to the VPN and be able to play online. I know of friends who did this same thing on campus but i cant seem to get it to work. When i plug one cord into my computer, and one out of my computer, it seems to think im trying to plug the internet in from two sources, rather than one being an output. I was wondering if i needed to configure some settings so that one would carry the internet out into the router. Thanks for the help!
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why can't you connect to the VPN through the router? That way you can connect Xbox and PS to it.
  • langusmon
  • Born
  • Born
  • langusmon

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is what im trying to do, but the vpn account is on my computer and i think i need to hook going from 1.) internet to computer 2.) then computer to router. Is this correct or is there some way to do this?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Normally, the router is placed between the modem and all PCs. If you only have one wall jack in a dorm, then you probably can only connect one device at a time to it., since it's only sending one IP address to the jack.
If I understand you correctly you want to connect other things to the PC and route them through the VPN. There are some internet connection sharing programs that might work, but I never really had any luck with them.
As for using a router, dhcp must be disabled because you would be using it as a switch, not a router.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts