Sadest day in computer history EVER

• typhon
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Memphis, Tn

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just saw with my own eyeballs what I have feared for a while now. There was an ad for the upcoming Intel based Macintoshes. Yes it saddens me to no end. I have enjoyed the fact for many years now that I have been an Intel free computer operator. First it was the Amiga that fell, I switched to Apple. And was very happy to use various versions of their desktop. And after so many years defending my choice of OS/hardware preferences I dont think I could bring myself to purchase an Intel based Mac. I'm sorry I just had to say something somewhere and I dont intend to start a 'mines better than yours' thing. Just thought bleh, yuck, blech.

Ok move along nothing to see here, get back to your normal Ozzu browsing.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ever heard of AMD?
  • typhon
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes but Apple will be going with Intel. If they went with AMD it wouldn't suck as much. And I would not have any probelm buying an AMD based Mac. If I do decide to 'get me a pc' Ill build it myself and it would definately be AMD based. Its just sad that Apple decided to go with Intel and not AMD.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ummm. not to diss the G processors (never used one but never heard one thing bad about them either), but I've had Intel processors, on not only every computer that I've owned, but on every computer that I've used; and don't have one complaint. They've been totally reliant for me. Of course as TomK noted I have friends that swear by AMD. Truthfully, except for the fact that I've never touched a MAC except to sell them, I don't understand the problem.
  • BaDD CoDeR
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just out of curiousity, what's so bad about Intel? The reason I ask, one of my brothers is probably going to start working for that company *ducks real quick* and we thought it was pretty cool. I'm curious why some ppl don;t like em.
Thanks. :)
  • BaDD CoDeR
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, and ATNO! I LOVE your new avi - the wise snow owl! You ARE very wise so you can pull it off!
  • psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: long island, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

typhon wrote:
I just saw with my own eyeballs what I have feared for a while now. There was an ad for the upcoming Intel based Macintoshes. Yes it saddens me to no end. I have enjoyed the fact for many years now that I have been an Intel free computer operator. First it was the Amiga that fell, I switched to Apple. And was very happy to use various versions of their desktop. And after so many years defending my choice of OS/hardware preferences I dont think I could bring myself to purchase an Intel based Mac. I'm sorry I just had to say something somewhere and I dont intend to start a 'mines better than yours' thing. Just thought bleh, yuck, blech.

Ok move along nothing to see here, get back to your normal Ozzu browsing.

not trying to pick a fight...whats the big deal? so what if mac is switching processors to intel? they might be slower or faster or better looking or 5 dollars more expensive then amd's (just getting a point across). but im not understanding the dilemma if you love your mac why dont you stay with you mac and wat if the processors change? is it just for the sake of being different from everyone else? they said that it will be 3 to four times faster. isnt that a good thing? once again im not picking a fight just trying to understand
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did a tad bit of looking (as much was possible). I'm taking a gamble and betting that Apple's decision was based on a shortage of supply for their G5's. I could be wrong.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

typhon, I'm with you. Well.. I was. I'd been going off on one every chance I got since I heard the news. Especially as I was just getting ready to go quad-G5! Umm... but then I saw the benchmarks. And the increase in processing power and speed. And... well, I had to shut up.

(Disclaimer: My objection to Apple going with Intel wasn't the result of a personal bias against the company, I just love the G5 and couldn't see how Intel's processors could compare. That was before I read about their new processors for the MacIntels.)

- Gita

P.S. On a related (but not) note, I haven't seen the new hardware "in the flesh," but it seems to me like Apple's marketing team decided to go halfwit and f-ugly for the MacIntel launch. The graphite, odiously-named MacBook Pro (ugh!) seems like a step backward from the gorgeous, titanium G4 PowerBook. Or maybe it's just me.
  • typhon
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well its not that there is necessarily a problem. However having to fight tooth and nail for the past oh.. lets see 85 to 2005 (wow im old) that just becuase the computer I used DIDNT have Intel didnt make my machine any less worthy of being called a computer. etc etc etc. Yes the reason they are making the switch is because first motorola couldnt keep up (that goes back to the G3)

Its just going to be tough (for me personally) to make the adjustment. How would you feel if for the past 20 yrs you had defended AMD as a viable processor, only to have AMD get bought out (but keep the lableing) by Intel. Now you have a Intel based AMD machine. Yes I know thats not feesable since amd is the chip maker not the computer 'box' maker. I was just making a point. Im sure that it will be OK-ish.

The issue is I know/knew alot of people that are now going to be doing the 'I told you comodore/apple sucked, Intel Rulez!' blech. And yes being different had something to do with it. (have you seen my avatar? thats me) And that was the whole 'new apple mantra' remember? "Think different" with the whole orwelian feel in the commercial?
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know what you mean. We miss you Cyrix! :salut:
  • typhon
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

psst- justG have you seen this?

http://www.macworld.com/2006/01/feature ... /index.php
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some people are predicting that Apple is going to make a play in the PC market with OS X hence why they've switched to an Intel processor.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

osx is already x86 compatible and rumor is you can also install vista and and xp on the new mactels. there was also a statement from michael dell that essentially said, if the opportunity arose, they would put osx on their computers.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the link, typhon, I hadn't seen that article before.

"If you talk to both Apple and Intel, they’ll tell you that the Intel Core Duo is a processor designed for laptops, providing a compromise between performance and good power-consumption and heat-generation characteristics."

I'm now more curious than ever to see how this transition will affect the PowerMac line. I'm thinking, more and more that going with v1 of a new technology isn't the wisest of decisions. I'm also thinking that my current computer is like 6 years old, so a quad G5 will be enough of an upgrade to placate me for a few years, until Apple and Intel find their groove.

don't know.. time will tell.
  • typhon
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your feeling really generous a quad G5 would be a great bday present for ME ME ME ME ME ME uhmm oh heh sorry I think I was starting to lose it for a sec, but my bday is comming up in may and im gonna be 3*cough*4*cough*
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I want them to hurry up and introduce the new PowerMac line so the price on the G5s drops a bit. That would be good. =]

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts